Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck In B Class For Two Years

praetorian97

Getting a little closer to hitting the 1.6 par time for a 90 degree transition. Still not there. I think I'm trying to get too good of a sight picture for 7 yard As. Will validate during live fire practice this weekend.

Noticing another critical mistake that's needing attention. Grasping the mag too high. Need to index my hand lower (towards ground) on it.

I've failed at my recent DF regime. This weekends match and return to Production Division was an epic fail. However I was able to identify some points to work on.

1. I'm definitely not gripping the gun hard enough in DF. Will be more conscious about that moving forward.

2. I need to spend more time learning how my new gun fires at different distances and tight shots. - "You need to know how carefully you must break the trigger." MFCEO

3. And finally.....I'm short stroking the trigger so its not resetting. I have a phenomenal short reset but I must be simulating SA too short during DF.

Time to put in a fresh Tampon and man up. No time to mope. Its ball slaying time.

Edited by praetorian97

I just looked through this thread for the first time. I'm not the zen type or the "you're doing it wrong if your thinking of results" type. So I'll just add this little bit. I just made A and I have learned it gets exponentially harder to move up the higher you get. I started as a C and it was no time before I made B. I thought this was going to be a breeze. Then it took me 3 years or so to make A. At the rate I practice and dry fire(very little) I will likely never make M but if I do it will be in 5 years probably. But then I'll be even older and slower......

Look up the stats for how many A shooters there are in USPSA if you can find them. Not as many make A as we think. Very few make M and GM's are actually pretty rare from an overall picture. If you can tell yourself that a very high B shooter is pretty darn good in USPSA you will pop A in a few months.

I tried something more temporary like Blue Painters tape but it flaked off after one DF session. A buddy brought the rule up too. I always appreciate stuff like that cause you never know. Showing up to a match and getting bumped to Open is no bueno ;)

I just looked through this thread for the first time. I'm not the zen type or the "you're doing it wrong if your thinking of results" type. So I'll just add this little bit. I just made A and I have learned it gets exponentially harder to move up the higher you get. I started as a C and it was no time before I made B. I thought this was going to be a breeze. Then it took me 3 years or so to make A. At the rate I practice and dry fire(very little) I will likely never make M but if I do it will be in 5 years probably. But then I'll be even older and slower......

Look up the stats for how many A shooters there are in USPSA if you can find them. Not as many make A as we think. Very few make M and GM's are actually pretty rare from an overall picture. If you can tell yourself that a very high B shooter is pretty darn good in USPSA you will pop A in a few months.

Great motivating words SARGE! Thanks!

Here is a thread you may find interesting. It's old but it looks like you will be able to find more current info through the website. Looks like only around 8% made A in production when this thread was new in 2010.

There is a local shooter who made GM in one year basically doing what is mentioned in that thread. Eat live breath and poop USPSA practice and shooting. He admitted to how hard it was to forgo everything else in life during that time.

So, yes, you can do this for sure!

I was in a rocky relationship and made shooting my life. If there were 10 matches in a month....I was shooting 10 matches in a month. Anything to be away from home and distracted. I was improving pretty fast and hooked on the "high" of it all.

Fast forward to a different point in my life and a much better relationship....I simply can't eat, breathe, and sleep USPSA as much as I did back then. It becomes more of a job than a stress relief from reality.

I was in a rocky relationship and made shooting my life. If there were 10 matches in a month....I was shooting 10 matches in a month. Anything to be away from home and distracted. I was improving pretty fast and hooked on the "high" of it all.

Fast forward to a different point in my life and a much better relationship....I simply can't eat, breathe, and sleep USPSA as much as I did back then. It becomes more of a job than a stress relief from reality.

And I forgot to add the local GM had a coach all year as well. Maybe you could take a Bob Vogel class?

We have some top notch names come here locally. I'm going to set aside some money so the next class that's available I can make.

JJ Racaza, Bob Vogel, and Ben Stoeger all have been here. Local guys rave about all three of their training classes.

Mr praetorian, Steve Anderson's podcasts and shooting theories seem to be tailor-made for your situation. As a frequent observer of both your triumphs and your trainwrecks, it looks to me like when you simply trust your sights and shoot what you can see, you do very well. When you rush and try and push the pace in your shooting, trying to go as fast as you think you should, then the exact problems that Anderson predicts show up.

I watch a young guy shoot most weeks who is M in Production and A in all other divisions. Every once in a while, I'll do better than him on a stage, but when he beats me on (most) stages, it's by a good margin. I am a newly minted USPSA D singlestack shooter, so nothing special at all. But if I can sometimes shoot better than that guy, I believe I have the potential to be much better than I currently am. There's more to it, of course, if I'm going to get to A and above like he is, but he isn't superhuman, just better at shooting. For now!

I watch a young guy shoot most weeks who is M in Production and A in all other divisions. Every once in a while, I'll do better than him on a stage, but when he beats me on (most) stages, it's by a good margin. I am a newly minted USPSA D singlestack shooter, so nothing special at all. But if I can sometimes shoot better than that guy, I believe I have the potential to be much better than I currently am. There's more to it, of course, if I'm going to get to A and above like he is, but he isn't superhuman, just better at shooting. For now!

And right there is what turned the tables on my shooting career.

The sooner people realize that the top shooters aren't Gods or Superhumans the better they will start to shoot.

Wyatt

Yup. at least up to the high M level, all I need to do is shoot like I do, only a bit more accurately, and consistently. That realization has caused me to worry less about speed and worry more about reading my sights, calling my shots, and being able to shoot as accurately as I need to .

Picked up an estimated 83% Production classifier this weekend. Had a light primer strike on first shot so it could have been slightly better. Very encouraging to see that after the tank of a match I had last weekend.

Had a pretty frustrating first DF session today. Reloading felt like I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I decided to put the timer away for the entire second session. Went much better as far as form goes. I've been fortunate that I have been able to dry fire at work as of late. I don't leave for lunch so I just break my lunch up into 2-30 minute sessions.

Installed some new grips that fit my hand and have much sharper checkering. Night and day difference helping my grip stay put throughout an array.

Heck it beats lifting weights right?

giphy.gif

Edited by praetorian97

• 4 weeks later...

Took a little hiatus from Dry Fire to develop a cast load. Came across some casting supplies in an estate sale and thought I'd give it a try. Goal was to create affordable practice only ammo. Hey if its cheaper, I can practice more right?

BTW I'm 0.69% away from A. The Classifier Gods hate me.

Anyways back on track. I'm still dry firing but spending some time in the garage trying to figure this all out.

Right now I'm paying $240 for 3500 125gr bullets.

$150 = 150lbs of lead.

7000 grains per lb.

7000 x 150 = 1,050,000 grains.

1,050,000 / bullet weight (125gr) = 8400 bullets give or take.

8000 practice rounds for $150!

11737831_10206090255992026_2058771633604

11694871_10206090284232732_8152416705963

Whoops too much wax.

11745471_10206090284192731_3586989051626

11238263_10206090285272758_8797323184318

11703094_10206090285192756_5540018976707