Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So Riddle me this, why do we not use Speed chutes?

DocMedic

So My M2 is being serviced atm and I plan to shoot a 3gun match sometime this weekend so I went to grab my backup, which is a SLP setup with a speed shoot for my speed loaders for my backup open shotgun as well. Looking at it, if you cut off the speed loader catches on each side, you could probably load 2 maybe load 4 quite well with it, the chute just guides the rounds right in with very little thought or guidance needed.

I've looked at 4 different rule sets and the only thing I see is that only "speed loaders" cannot be used in Limited/tacops divisions.

Edited by DocMedic

It's really no different than a magwell on a pistol or AR. Neither of those would push you to Open, so you should be good to go with one on your shotgun in Lim or TacOp.

Id have to see a picture of it to understand for sure (don't shoot Open, never used a chute/speedloaders before), but I guess how would it help vs a hogged out port like everyone uses now. I can see it guiding a speedloader into position but I would think something like that would restrict hand placement and ease of loading manually?

I have seen quite a few Open guys load TWinS and Quads with theirs. As long as the shells are not mechanically held or fed as you put them in, I do not see a rule based restriction. I think the angle, weight and bulk might get in the way a little. I did try a Kydex chute on a VM for a match or two and it offered no advantages, however, a good design might change that.

I would have to look at it a little harder when I get home, I just pulled it out of the safe before I went to bed to make sure it was oiled enough to run this weekend and it just struck me.

I have seen quite a few Open guys load TWinS and Quads with theirs. As long as the shells are not mechanically held or fed as you put them in, I do not see a rule based restriction. I think the angle, weight and bulk might get in the way a little. I did try a Kydex chute on a VM for a match or two and it offered no advantages, however, a good design might change that.

I hear the gears of hundreds of Benosphere technicians beginning to spin. Hmmmmmmm........

I must had looked at it for several hours last night, I honestly think it could work. My only issue, it was hard enough just to find a Speed Chute for a SLP to begin with, let alone I don't exactly have the funds to buy another one. I'm going to buy some Kydex and experiment with it on the SLP, It will be interesting if I can make this work and compare it to my M2 once I get it back since its getting extensive port work done.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno about 3gun rules, but IPSC shotgun rules are clear on this subject.

Standard and Standard Manual Divisions

20. Replacements of or modifications to elevators/floor plates, provided no part protrudes beyond the standard frame of the gun, are permitted.

21. External feed ramps as direct replacements of the carrier release button (Remington 1100 and 1187 only) are permitted.

You can't use feed ramp on Standard class shotgun.

What I really wish someone would do is put the barrel on the bottom and the mag tube on the top... Weak hand deuces and quads without having to turn the gun over..... :ph34r:

More linear recoil impulse, too, and the sight height would be just like a single barrel trap gun. I like it!

I think that after a bit more thinking you guys will understand that this is NOT a good idea with a shotgun. Think sight offset and pattern. I do like the idea of more linear recoil and it can be had in the Akdals etc, but not a good idea for the limited guns.

Sight offset shouldn't be much different then the bottom barrel of an O/U gun, and people hit with those just fine. (Other people... not me :yawn:) And probably less offset than on an AR.

I admit it would probably take some adjustment, but I think the speed you could pick up reloading might be worth it.

This could be a neat idea to funnel the shells in easier however I think its a solution looking for a problem.

That being said, I'm staying tuned to see if anyone pans out the idea into something useable because I'm always looking for the next solution to my perceived problem :)

What I really wish someone would do is put the barrel on the bottom and the mag tube on the top... Weak hand deuces and quads without having to turn the gun over..... :ph34r:

I was able to do it with an old damaged 870 that was headed to the scrap heap anyway and I saw no issues with it. Trigger group flip and change the buttstock angle. The M3000 would be the best option to do it with since the recoil assembly is around the mag tube and not in the stock.

I was able to do it with an old damaged 870 that was headed to the scrap heap anyway and I saw no issues with it. Trigger group flip and change the buttstock angle. The M3000 would be the best option to do it with since the recoil assembly is around the mag tube and not in the stock.

Please tell me you took pictures of the 870. If you did could you post them?

Please tell me you took pictures of the 870. If you did could you post them?

I did, even though it has been destroyed. I am still not sure if I am going to do anything with it, so I am not going to post pictures.