Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do about mover in Open

RippinSVT

Guys, I recently got an older (2001-ish) Open gun equipped with a Piatt shroud/wings and Tasco Propoint Plus. This setup does not provide for any built-in lead on the Mover. While it would be easiest to just buy a Protocol Designs StickShift setup (saw them at the Cup, very nice stuff), I am set on keeping the gun setup as-is minus possibly the optic. This gun once belonged to a very special Bianchi shooter who has now passed on, so I'd like to keep it fairly intact.

So who even sells a Mover dot anymore? I can't find a Gilmore or Pride/Fowler anywhere online. I half entertained making my own knob for the Tasco as a side-project. I like the looks of the Ultradot Matchdot II, but can't find any AP-specific details about them from the manufacturer.

I'm pretty new to AP, so this highly-specialized stuff that apparently nobody sells is eluding me. Thanks, Kyle

About the only option you leave open is to buy a used Gilmore with the mover lead in it as a knob adjustment. There are plenty of them around, just not in use anymore. I'd bet someone on here has one they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price for your needs to keep the appearance of your gun as is.

Alan~^~

Buy a stickshift (regular one, not the shroud with built in stickshift). Mill the rail off the shroud and bolt on the stickshift. Then put on an Aimpoint or Matchdot or dot of your choice.

Thats how most of them are set up, either with the Piatt, or Gilmore shroud with the rail milled off and stickshift.

Edited by DWFAN

Thanks a lot guys, I just got off the phone with Kelly. I wasn't sure if they still made them since their website is down, but indeed they do. I'll be ordering one shortly.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Kelly informed me that they have 2-year warranties, which also gets renewed after a rebuild from them. I know they can be finicky, but I will rarely be running the mover dial back and forth so I'll take my chances. Again, a mover base is ideal, but I'm really wanting to keep the gun completely intact, or at least in a state where modifications are reversible.

The gun belonged to the late Rhonda King, an Aussie who moved to Columbia, MO because of AP shooting until she lost her battle with breast cancer in 2003. She was one of the best female shooters, who placed top 3 at Bianchi. Next week I'll be shooting the Cameron Cup which is dedicated to her good friend and fellow Auzzie, John Cameron. The story of how the gun came into my possession is a long and strange one. It shoots lights-out though, benched groups at 25 for 6 shots were way sub 1/2".

Edited by RippinSVT

Thanks for the heads up guys. Kelly informed me that they have 2-year warranties, which also gets renewed after a rebuild from them. I know they can be finicky, but I will rarely be running the mover dial back and forth so I'll take my chances. Again, a mover base is ideal, but I'm really wanting to keep the gun completely intact, or at least in a state where modifications are reversible.

The gun belonged to the late Rhonda King, an Aussie who moved to Columbia, MO because of AP shooting until she lost her battle with breast cancer in 2003. She was one of the best female shooters, who placed top 3 at Bianchi. Next week I'll be shooting the Cameron Cup which is dedicated to her good friend and fellow Auzzie, John Cameron. The story of how the gun came into my possession is a long and strange one. It shoots lights-out though, benched groups at 25 for 6 shots were way sub 1/2".

I can understand why you'd be reluctant to change the gun, given it's provenance. However, from what I've seen on here Warren's shrouds, incorporating the mover base, could be the way to go.

If you get it undrilled (if that's a possibility) I'm sure you could retrospectively fit it to your gun, so you could keep the original mount un-altered.

I've never used a Gilmore, I would imagine that there are people who haven't had any problems, just as there are people who have.

I thought John C was a kiwi?

Had the pleasure of shooting with and meeting many of Rhonda's friends at Cameron Cup today. Talked to Bruce Piatt extensively about the gun, and he insists I'm better off with a mover base as most of you said. I'm still on the fence about it, but I'll probably get in touch with Warren and do it and keep the original Tasco dot. This gun is insanely accurate, but ive got a feeling these Open guns have a long learning curve.

• 5 months later...

Call 913-422-8966 and ask for one. Give your shipping address and preferred method of payment.

They come in black (anodized) and silver (bare aluminum). The revolver one is a no gunsmithing bolt on. There are also wings available for stock 686 barrels. The barrels vary in size. There are 2 basic sizes (width) which are .720 and .770 with minor variations of each. Some file fitting may or may not be needed. The wing requires a hole drilled and tapped in the top of the barrel.

With these 2 parts you can have a very serviceable open gun for a pretty cheap price. Use the other $3000 you would have spent on an auto for practice ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I did find my Gilmore scope with the dial for the mover. I will probably use it this year and see if this old man can still play this game. I can move to the stick shift from there. I do think it makes more sense in the long run.