Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doubles on paper POI low.

Therealkoop

Ever since I started shooting a 2011 style pistol Ive had some odd issues crop up. The 2nd shot of my doubles on paper always seems to go low.

For example, If I run a blake drill at 12 yards I will have 2 shots on each paper. The first one is dead center, the 2nd one is dead center left/right, but in the c zone, every target. When watching the sights the shot looks fine, but it doesn't turn out like it should or how I would expect based upon shooting an M&P for the last 3 years. Im guessing it has something to do with timing or grip. Ive tried the lighter recoil spring deal, and currently have an 8lb installed (9mm minor).

Is it possible to over thumb the safety? That is my next idea to screw with.

• 3 weeks later...

You're used to managing the recoil of your M&P and the 2011 feels different. Maybe your muscles unconsciously return the gun to a non-optimal sight alignment after a shot, even though you watch the sights. Sure seems like a timing/grip thing could be it.

I imagine you've already slowed way down to try and see what's happening. Maybe in slow motion the problem doesn't manifest?

there is nothing wrong with your gun .... it's a trigger control issue and grip issue. you say "when watching the sights the shot looks fine" but clearly it is not since you didn't have an alpha hit, unless of course you've gotten together with Angela Jolie and she has showed you how to curve bullets ....

your sights probabaly were lined up initially but were not lined up at the instance the shot broke .... which is the only thing that matters. Once you learn to call your shots you'll understand what is happening and will either not fire the shot until an acceptable sight picture is achieved or instantly fire a make-up shot because you know the shot is off because you called the shot ...

what you are describing are classic grip/ trigger jerk for a right handed shooter ... 1st shot center A, 2nd shot center left or low left

Archived