Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low pro or Hi-rider for flat top with iron sights

Truegent2004

I drove up to DPMS today to to talk to sales about getting a new AR. First of all I'm a lefty so I'm debating whether or not to get a lefty flat top or a righty with an ambi safety(slightly cheaper).

I want iron sight back ups on my AR. Should I mount the scope on a low pro or high rider?? I see both in the catalog and I dont know what determines which you should go with.

You need the low pro. I don't think you would ever find a rear sight for the high rider. I never saw much use for that receiver anyway with the nice selection of mounts available.

Good luck!

Bill

Most uf us tactical class shooters all use the high rider so as not to have to use a riser on the flat top. If you are only shooting matches don'nt worry about irons because if your scope breaks, just put on your back up scope for the next stage.

Got this in an e-mail...

My handguards would be free float. What did you mean by the scope objective size? If you meant by target.......prairie dogs (0-70 yards) and some club 3-gun......knowing that lo-pro or hi-rider?

The scope objective is the lens on the forward, or muzzle, end. The larger the objective, the more you have to lift the scope to clear your handguards. The larger your handguards, the more you have to lift the scope. The more you lift your scope, the more you have to worry about cheek weld and lifting your eyes by raising the stock, and the uglier the trajectory you have to deal with.

If you have a 20mm objective, there is little to worry about. 40mm starts to become an issue and 50mm is a problem.

I don't know why DPMS went to the trouble of making a high-rise receiver when you can get high scope rings. Maybe some people just don't like the aesthetics of high rings.