Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are S/S tirgger pins legal in IDPA SSP

GARD72977

I broke a trigger pin in my (2pin) Glock 34. There here is a state match coming up in a couple of weeks. This will be my first sanctioned match and I don't want to run in to any problems with SSP rules. I would have bought a black on but all I could find is S/S

I'm not an IDPA shooter and don't play one on TV but if IDPA tells you that stainless trigger pins are illegal, I would find another game to shoot. I'm being facetious but I can't, for the life of me, see where stainless trigger pins give you an edge over their blued brethren.

Use them!

I'm not an IDPA shooter and don't play one on TV but if IDPA tells you that stainless trigger pins are illegal, I would find another game to shoot. I'm being facetious but I can't, for the life of me, see where stainless trigger pins give you an edge over their blued brethren.

Use them!

The advantage comes with using oversized pins... Anything you can do to create a tighter Lockup in a polymer framed pistol is (even if slight) an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no difference in the pins, OEM are just as good. The only way to make a Glock more accurate is to hand fit an aftermarket barrel to the slide. Better sights and triggers help, but if the barrel is not hand fitted, oh well.

There is no difference in the pins, OEM are just as good. The only way to make a Glock more accurate is to hand fit an aftermarket barrel to the slide. Better sights and triggers help, but if the barrel is not hand fitted, oh well.

Not true. That is the most common way... But a true aftermarket trigger system includes oversized pins.

And anyway you can create a tighter lockup will (technically) make the firearm more accurate.

Not true. That is the most common way... But a true aftermarket trigger system includes oversized pins.

And anyway you can create a tighter lockup will (technically) make the firearm more accurate.

Was that you experience after changing just the trigger group without a hand fitted barrel? And what size do the over size pins mike compared to the OEM pins?

Edited by 9x45

Steel pins aren't legal. I have a DK custom trigger kit that is USPSA prod legal but not IDPA because it has a steel trigger pin and pre-travel adjustment. He makes an IDPA legal trigger that has those 2 items removed.

Was that you experience after changing just the trigger group without a hand fitted barrel? And what size do the over size pins mike compared to the OEM pins?

First things first... Do you know what a match fitted gives you over an OEM barrel? Besides of course the rifling inside the barrel... Why does 'match fitting' make it more accurate?

Steel pins aren't legal. I have a DK custom trigger kit that is USPSA prod legal but not IDPA because it has a steel trigger pin and pre-travel adjustment. He makes an IDPA legal trigger that has those 2 items removed.

I think you are talking about the small pins on the trigger shoe... We are referring to the pins in the frame. That being said, the pre-travel adjustment screw isn't legal, but you can have steel pins in the shoe, that's not a deal breaker.

First things first... Do you know what a match fitted gives you over an OEM barrel? Besides of course the rifling inside the barrel... Why does 'match fitting' make it more accurate?

Sounds like you have never run a fitted barrel. What makes a Glock accurate is the barrel to slide lockup, and not the slide to frame fit. Hand fitting assures the tightest lockup, just like a hand fitted barrel in a 1911. Rifled barrels are not neccesarily more accurate than OEM hammer forged, except when using lead bullets. So back to my question, did you gain accuracy by changing the trigger group? And I am just curious as to how far oeversize the SS pins are. Couldn't be more than a few tenths.

Sounds like you have never run a fitted barrel. What makes a Glock accurate is the barrel to slide lockup, and not the slide to frame fit. Hand fitting assures the tightest lockup, just like a hand fitted barrel in a 1911. Rifled barrels are not neccesarily more accurate than OEM hammer forged, except when using lead bullets. So back to my question, did you gain accuracy by changing the trigger group? And I am just curious as to how far oeversize the SS pins are. Couldn't be more than a few tenths.

The 'aside from lead bullets' is exactly why I mentioned the rifling... And it sounds like YOU have a bunch of information off of the Internet and from what we call 'gun guy half talk'... Yes, everyone knows that hand fitting offers the tightest lockup... Everyone knows that slide to barrel lockup is where the Glocks accuracy is made... And man, what could anyone ever possibly want an oversized frame pin for, right? Yeah, that makes no sense at all!! Except it pushes up the locking block, while also making it more rigid and stable... Hey, when a Glock is in battery, what's the barrel sitting on? Oh yeah! The locking block. Having the locking block tighter and slightly higher makes all the difference in the world. It is what gives that last little bit of lockup, especially when running a match fit barrel. Also, it blows my mind that you would say 'couldn't be more than a few tenths'... A few tenths can be a massive, game changing amount when you're talking about firearm fitment.

My experience comes from running 1911's since 1967 and running Glocks since 1992, long before the internet. My barrels were hand fitted by Irv Stone himself (BarSto). I'd still like to know the actual size of the oversized pins because you can't change the center to center distance in the frame. And would still like to know if the aftermarket trigger resulted in smaller groups.