Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness Match Hammer Not Fully Cocking

dukeguy

Mr Murphy! So I once again sprayed gun scrubber after the single errant round fired, then upon cleaning, oil and reassembly the slide wouldn't move but 1cm!?!  I don't force things mechanically so I repeated the field strip several times and shazamm! Now everything seems to function! The safety now works PERFECTLY, and now the hammer has a half cocked position that is the TRUE double action position. I feel both elated and embarrassed as clearly SOMETHING mechanical and foreign blocked something. After my next test fire AT THE RANGE I will do a sterile clean on the entire gun. Must have been some small shave of  brass wedged somewhere. I still welcome any comments. Crazy day!!

8 hours ago, Hawkalot said:

Was it a mistake to cycle live rounds thru this gun to test feeding? I have done this dozens of times on my other semi autos with no issues. Thanks so much for any replies. Chuck

In my opinion, it was a mistake. You had a firearm WITH KNOWN PROBLEM, you should have fixed that first. That issue sounds like assembly of the gun was incorrect.

NEVER load live ammo into a defective gun, off the range to check function. Snap caps are made for that.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you did ask.

Please watch the 4 part  video series on these guns by @MemphisMechanic. It's the best one out there.

You load your own ammo? Why not load up some dummy rounds with neither powder nor primers.

I have about fifty of those lying around at any given time.

To find the videos John is talking about, search youtube for "Tanfoglio Tuning"

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yes THANK YOU..hindsight is always 20/20. I will review videos. I had considered loading dummy rounds and should have. I wrote the following last night, but never hit submit:

Mr Murphy! So I once again sprayed gun scrubber after the single errant round fired, then upon cleaning, oil and reassembly the slide wouldn't move but 1cm!?!  I don't force things mechanically so I repeated the field strip several times and shazamm! Now everything seems to function! The safety now works PERFECTLY, and now the hammer has a half cocked position that is the TRUE double action position. I feel both elated and embarrassed as clearly SOMETHING mechanical and foreign blocked something. After my next test fire AT THE RANGE I will do a sterile clean on the entire gun. Must have been some small shave of  brass wedged somewhere. I still welcome any comments. Crazy day!!

AND I know there is still extreme caution to be exercised with this firearm until I am 100% confident the problem has resolved. I will use a small frame with the spent shell casing displayed over my reloading station to remind me that hindsight is a POOR safety plan!!

It would br a boring world if we were all perfect. 

9 hours ago, Hawkalot said:

AND I know there is still extreme caution to be exercised with this firearm until I am 100% confident the problem has resolved. I will use a small frame with the spent shell casing displayed over my reloading station to remind me that hindsight is a POOR safety plan!!

It would br a boring world if we were all perfect. 

LOL,  yes  it would be boring if every one was perfect.  I've field stripped these guns a fair bit... never had a hammer drop or follow from that.  OR a fleck of schmutz in the action.  I strongly suspect an incorrect assembly. 

As scary as it sounds,  you need to watch those videos and then rip that baby down totally.  Clean it all and do the "watch, assembly, re-watch, re-assembly" dance a few times.  I suspect the sear pack is in wrong or possibly even has a damaged part.  I would focus on it in the videos and really inspect / compare closely. 

You also may want to ask a moderator to move your posts into a new thread and detail the gun.  It's not a SINGLE ACTION ONLY MATCH, right?  Help us to help you!

Yes I will watch videos. Finally off work tomorrow. No, I only did the field strip. Not further than that. Tomorrow I will load snap cap rounds and cycle them thru each magazine multiple times and watch and rewatch videos. I'm new to this type of correspondance method but can see if I can move thread as suggested. Stay tuned and thanks so much! Chuck