Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with Grams kits for Stock II Mags

Gdub

I recently bought a couple of the Grams kits for a couple of Stock II mags that the followers are chewed up enough tha they wedged against the slide lock and won't drop out of the gun. The kits went in and the gun runs perfect except for one problem. No matter what I do the gun will not strip the final round off the mag.

Any suggestions?

They are the ones labeled for the Tanfo. Stock II. I can't find them on their website though. I also can't find the post that someone told me to use a certain size.

So when you say it won't strip the final round off the mag, is it leaving it there or misfeeding?

A 140mm spring in a standard mag is comparible to the crazy stiff Mec-Gar stock springs

So when you say it won't strip the final round off the mag, is it leaving it there or misfeeding?

A 140mm spring in a standard mag is comparible to the crazy stiff Mec-Gar stock springs

Yes it just leaves it in the mag. Like it passes right over it. Yes the 140mm feels about like the factory spring.

Well the 140mm springs were meant to work with extended base pads that extends the length of the mag to 140mm.

I would use the factory follower and spring. I am willing to bet that will solve your issue.

Well the 140mm springs were meant to work with extended base pads that extends the length of the mag to 140mm.

I would use the factory follower and spring. I am willing to bet that will solve your issue.

They still hold 17 rounds. That is what threw me. I'm eating the crap out of the factory ones with practicing mag changes. Is it because I don't have a dummy round in the mag?

They still hold 17 rounds. That is what threw me. I'm eating the crap out of the factory ones with practicing mag changes. Is it because I don't have a dummy round in the mag?
I don't understand the reasoning behind the purchase of the grams springs and followers. Were you trying to increase the capacity?

As it sits, you probably have too much tension and the springs are probably binding. If anything, you would have been better off purchasing some + 10% wolff springs with the factory follower.

Edited by himurax13

Spring issue aside. ALWAYS do reload practice with a loaded to division magazine. Production (10) etc..... Dummy rounds of course. If you reload, make them with regular components with the obvious exception of primer and powder. I find the weight to be much better than snap caps. If you are worried about your firing pin, use a snap cap in the top round.

The weight difference between an empty mag and loaded mag can throw your training off.

The 11 coil (140mm) spring with the extended base pad feels similar to running the stock spring and follower with the extended base bpad (I ran the stock springs and followers for several thousand rounds). In fact I'll put a stock basepad on this weekend and test it.

It almost sounds like it short stroking. I don't know how extra spring pressure would cause it NOT to pop the round up far enough.

Is there anything else you can tell us about this issue?