Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock III 9mm in stock!

They've been in stock a oakhill for the last several weeks. I'm surprised at how long they've lasted! I've been checking it daily.............. they started with about 7 and still have 3 left!

Edited by 3djedi

Wonder if they have them in stainless, I mean chrome?

I don't know what it is in Italy, but in the US "chrome" refers to chrome plating. I can file burrs from a thousand reloads off the frame on the Stock 2 and there is no plating, I would call that Stainless Steel.

I'm not a metallurgist or anything so FYI...

Wonder if they have them in stainless, I mean chrome?

I don't know what it is in Italy, but in the US "chrome" refers to chrome plating. I can file burrs from a thousand reloads off the frame on the Stock 2 and there is no plating, I would call that Stainless Steel.

I'm not a metallurgist or anything so FYI...

You might want to take a magnet to that Tanfo of yours, I'm pretty sure it's chromed.

The chrome is thick.

But sure call it stainless, whatever makes you happy man.

But seriously stainless has a deeper grey tone than chrome and Tanfoglio says they are hard chrome.

Edited by Nealio

Chromed = plated

Any plating would come off when I hit it with a file. Literally, I can take off metal with a file and it is the same metal throughout. That is not plating.

It acts exactly like stainless steel.

trust me, it's chromed. they are a mild steel frame. polished hard chrome on the flat surfaces and just bead blasted on the round bits.

if you need any further evidence models in most markets are called things like "eric gold custom HC" the HC stands for hard chrome. as opposed to the "eric gold custom GK" which stands for gun kote.

yes some grades of SS are magnetic. but the tanfo frames and slides are most definitely not stainless. and arguably carbon steel is the best material for a gun frame/slide so I'm glad they are not stainless.

edit: as far as the stock III goes they have not been offered in hard chrome. The 'regular' stock 3 is blued. They also make/made a "stock 3 special" which is in kind of a satin finish and came with alloy grips instead of wood. Then there is the stock III xtreme which is GK finish in bronze frame and black slide.

stock 3:

stock3A.jpg

stock 3 special:

Stock3_Spec.jpg

stock 3 xtreme

Stock3_1b_1024x1024.jpg?v=1426232723

stock 2 HC

stock2_V2.jpg

Edited by BeerBaron

Here we see a Stock 2 in the wild...

After thousands of reloads, the magwell is beat to crap, any trace of electroplating is gone. I took a file to it to get the burrs off and did thousands more reloads. The finish is friggin GONE and yet remarkably no rust, and even more remarkably the metal looks like every other stainless steel I've ever seen.

I live in a swamp, just the humidity in the air will make raw steel rust in days, I cannot keep the rust off my deer rifle no matter how hard I try and yet this magwell has never had so much as a drop of oil on it for rust prevention.

This is why I say, I don't know what kind of metal it is but it acts like stainless steel.

post-52010-0-08986600-1434229359_thumb.j