Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lock back for Limited 10?

arnettcw1

I am going to start shooting some Limited 10. Is it worth it to try to get a 2011 to reliably go to slide lock after the last round in Limited 10? In production and single stack it seems to be an advantage to have the slide lock back so you can quickly deactivate the slide lock when you run the gun dry either accidentally or intentionally. Looking for pros, cons, etc. Thanks.

I shoot Limited, not 10. If I were to shoot L10, I'd definitely want the slide to lock back. Since you won't be using the extra capacity followers and springs, there is no reason you should have trouble getting the slide to lock back.

There are good reasons why Production and Single Stack shooters prefer their slides to lock back. You will essentially be shooting just like a Production Shooter would, only with a Limited gun instead of a Production gun. So why would you want to do anything differently?

I shoot L10 a lot, living in NY it really the only option. I shoot limited out of NY, I prefer it to L10.

That being said, I use the same gun for both divisions. My slide does not lock open empty, I rarely find myself with an empty gun. I don't think it's necessary to lock back.

George

ZZT,

From another post I see that you have followers that will lock the slide on your limited gun. What brand of followers are you using to get it to lock back reliably without one round in it? I have tried STI, Grams, and Infinity followers and have not had good luck with any of them. Thanks.

I shoot a CZ Tactical Sport for Limited. The standard CZ followers always lock the slide back when empty, The CZC custom followers allow an extra round, but only locked the slide back when new. As the spring ages it gets a little weaker and doesn't quite push the plank follower up high enough to lock back. You can cure this by putting in a new spring.

If you are having problems with your 2011 mags, try this . Load 2-3 rounds in each of the troublesome mags. Before you fire the last round apply gentle upward pressure on the bottom of the mag, then fire. If the slide locks back, put that mag in the okay pile. If not, repeat with more upward pressure.

For the mags that locked back with pressure, you can fix one of two ways. You can stretch the mag spring, or replace with new. Stretching will not last as long as replacing. You could also check your mag catch. It may be it is worn and allows the mags to hang too low. If so, replacing it should help, and will probably cure the problem. If still not enough, you can try replacing with one designed to intentionally hold the mag higher in the gun. Dawson and EGW make such releases.

On the original topic. If you empty your pistol and the slide locks back, you know it. Yes it takes an extra 1/4 second to drop the slide after you reload, but so what. You are reloading on the move so that 1/4 second doesn't come into play.

On the other hand, if the slide didn't lock back, you lose a lot more. You've reloaded, moved to the next firing point, aimed, then click. WT??? You rack the slide, reacquire, then fire. You have just used up between 1 and 2 seconds. More importantly, your concentration was broken and you are more likely to make mistakes.

You or your gunsmith will/may have to work on the slide stop / mag follower combo to get them to lock back with out leaving a round in the mag

Or

Buy an STI slide stop and mag followers.

Every one I bought new I've had to work on to get them to NOT lock back

For me PERSONALLY I want 1911 45's to lock back. Why because for 40 years that's what they've done for me!

All my ten shot guns ( L-10 and SS minor) I've set up with no lock back

That's just me

Figure out what you want and manipulate the slide stop and followers to accomplish that.

I'm in NY too, and now have to shoot my limited gun as L10. It was originally set to not lock back. Then when I went with the 10 rd mags, it was impossible to find followers that worked in them to lock the slide, other than the original STI follwers. I also replaced the modified slide stop with a factory STI follwer. It would then lock the slide back, but also sometimes on the last round left. The reason being, I load long, 1.2", and the nose of the bullet would push up the slide lock, and lock open the slide prematurely. So if you load long, you will have the same problem. So it may make sense to stick withe slide not locking back, and keep track of your rounds.

Also, inserting a mag into an empty, locked back, 2011 gun with too much force, can either break the ejector, or wedge the magazine in place. Another reason to not have the slide lock back.

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I do load long and was having the same issue with the STI followers. I hadn't thought about the long load being the issue, but that makes a lot of sense.

Yep, test it for yourself. Take off the slide of the gun. Put the slide stop back into the frame so it's in its normal depth. Put one round in your mag, and push the round foward towards front of mag, like may happen during recoil. Then, when you insert the mag, you'll see the bullet nose push up the slide stop. This of course, with an unmodified factory slide stop, and the STI followers.

Archived