Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from FL

jtraccs

IMG_3054%201_zpsj7jxy1wf.jpg

Hello everyone!

I have jumped back into USPSA. I shot production for a few years took 8months off now getting back in, but going limited division. Glock 35 here. Nice to meet everyone. shoot safe!

Edited by jtraccs

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Are you reloading, yet?

I am not. i was looking at the price for the reloading machine, brass, primers, powder and as of right now, i wont be saving that much money. I pay $13 for 50rds of .40sw factory reloaded ammo, so i think that's pretty cheap. reloading doesn't seem to be cost effective at this point. people are asking crazy prices for brass, primers, and powder, nvm the machines initial investment. $0.26 per round right now that i am paying is pretty decent. How much per round would reloading cost me?

Edited by jtraccs

$13/50 rounds is pretty good. $13/30 rounds is a little high.

You should be able to make .40 ammo for $.20/round or

$10/box of 50 - you'd have many options and could lower

or raise that a bit, by YOUR choice of powder, bullet and

even the primer.

You will probably save some money after you amortize the cost

of the equipment - probably about $750+/- for a Dillon 550 and

the other accessories. You'd also have to factor in your time,

and whether you want to spend 1-2 hours/week reloading.

Depends on how many rounds/year you shoot, and are you happy

with the accuracy/power factor of the rounds you're currently

buying - you should be able to beat the accuracy and hone the

PF to your specific needs by reloading.

Once you start shooting 6,000 rounds a year, you're probably

near the break even point, I'd guess. $2700 for bought ammo,

vs $750 for the equipment and approx. $1,200 for components

(using the brass multiple times).

Being in Florida, I'd bet you could probably get a neighbor to

let you use his equipment to reload on - or split the cost with

a neighbor - save some pesos that way. :cheers:

$13/50 rounds is pretty good. $13/30 rounds is a little high.

You should be able to make .40 ammo for $.20/round or

$10/box of 50 - you'd have many options and could lower

or raise that a bit, by YOUR choice of powder, bullet and

even the primer.

You will probably save some money after you amortize the cost

of the equipment - probably about $750+/- for a Dillon 550 and

the other accessories. You'd also have to factor in your time,

and whether you want to spend 1-2 hours/week reloading.

Depends on how many rounds/year you shoot, and are you happy

with the accuracy/power factor of the rounds you're currently

buying - you should be able to beat the accuracy and hone the

PF to your specific needs by reloading.

Once you start shooting 6,000 rounds a year, you're probably

near the break even point, I'd guess. $2700 for bought ammo,

vs $750 for the equipment and approx. $1,200 for components

(using the brass multiple times).

Being in Florida, I'd bet you could probably get a neighbor to

let you use his equipment to reload on - or split the cost with

a neighbor - save some pesos that way. :cheers:

i meant $13 for 50 rounds sorry typo. i fixed it in the previous post. was super early when i wrote that post this morning lol. I may consider it down the road to start reloading. right now my pf on the factory reman ammo that i practice with is 166, dangerously close to the limit. BUT the match ammo i buy during a ranked match is pf of 170 so its got a cushion. however, the match ammo is MUCH more expensive because its not reman ammo, its factory new at $23/box. local matches i use the reman stuff.

Edited by jtraccs

Keep your eye out for the major matches at Universal Shooting Academy. You're pretty far south of us here in Central Florida so it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to attend our normal matches at our various ranges, but the big matches at USA in Frostproof are always worth the trip. Monster Match, Florida State Match, Florida Open, etc.

I shoot mostly Single Stack using 40 cal long (1.180 OAL) and I've run the numbers between reloading and purchasing ammo. I have a spreadsheet that I'm happy to share with you. There are a lot of factors and one of the biggest is your tolerance and patience for scrounging for brass. I don't have the patience to mess around with brass at matches and I also have high opportunity costs (time spent reloading is time that I'm not spending with my little girl). I also have a section that shows how long it would take for the savings between various options to pay back the cost of a 550 with all of the necessary bits and pieces.

My non-scrounging brass numbers have it actually being cheaper to purchase ammo from Precision Delta (which has been wildly accurate out of my SVI AET barrel) so I'm doing that for now.

Keep your eye out for the major matches at Universal Shooting Academy. You're pretty far south of us here in Central Florida so it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to attend our normal matches at our various ranges, but the big matches at USA in Frostproof are always worth the trip. Monster Match, Florida State Match, Florida Open, etc.

I shoot mostly Single Stack using 40 cal long (1.180 OAL) and I've run the numbers between reloading and purchasing ammo. I have a spreadsheet that I'm happy to share with you. There are a lot of factors and one of the biggest is your tolerance and patience for scrounging for brass. I don't have the patience to mess around with brass at matches and I also have high opportunity costs (time spent reloading is time that I'm not spending with my little girl). I also have a section that shows how long it would take for the savings between various options to pay back the cost of a 550 with all of the necessary bits and pieces.

My non-scrounging brass numbers have it actually being cheaper to purchase ammo from Precision Delta (which has been wildly accurate out of my SVI AET barrel) so I'm doing that for now.

do you know the fps or pf on percision delta reman ammo? doesnt list on the site.

Edited by jtraccs

The Precision Delta 180 grain remanufactured rounds that I use came in at either 174 or 175 at Area 6 chrono. I forget the specific number, but there wasn't any risk of me going minor. :)

So I could reload and shooting something closer to the major/minor line....but given the reliability and accuracy of the Precision Delta product, I'm fine with shooting something at that PF. My guess is that the commercial ammo dealers who are targeting the action pistol market make their rounds a bit hotter than you would normally reload so that they don't have any issues with a round not running a pistol or someone not making power factor. That's just speculation on my part, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

Edited by ericjhuber