Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSP thought

ArrDave

Now that IDPA has a CCP division that is constrained by Barrel length and not just the box, I got to thinking about SSP.

All "issued" guns that are generally used for "service" are 4.5" barrels are less. Every LEO that shows up to shoot usually has the 4.25 M&P or the 4.49 Glock 17/22. Nobody's duty gun is a 5" gun. The CZ 75, XD Service, etc are all sub 4.5" barrels. If the intent of the division is to be an actual "service" pistol, would it not make sense to run 4.5" or shorter barreled guns? then kick all the 5"+ guns up to ESP?

I suspect a lot of folks aren't going to like the idea, but then perhaps the SSP moniker is misleading. Just a thought.

Not to poop on the idea, but I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to define "service" via barrel length. There are a bunch of 34s and 35s issued as duty guns with various organizations in the US. And the CZ 75 series are more widely issued across the world map than any other pistol anywhere, FWIW. (With a 4.6" barrel length) [shrug]

there is very little "stock" on a lot of SSP guns. my G34 fo SSP has a different barrel, different sights, different guide rod, different recoil spring, different striker, different striker spring, different plunger, different safety plunger spring, different housing for overtravel stop, different trigger return spring, different connector, different mag springs, different mag bases, added grip tape, added grip plug, marine striker cups, ss takedown pins.

hmmm, trigger and trigger bar are stock. frame and slide are stock. mag release and slide stop lever are stock Glock items. oh the locking block.

yeah, not a whole lot of stock there....

but in theory, i can get behind the idea of making SSP more strict and ESP jsut a tiny bit more open. I like the idea in SSP of making them entirely stock, let nothing be changed. not sights, not springs, not grips, not nothing. now that would be challenging.

there is very little "stock" on a lot of SSP guns. my G34 fo SSP has a different barrel, different sights, different guide rod, different recoil spring, different striker, different striker spring, different plunger, different safety plunger spring, different housing for overtravel stop, different trigger return spring, different connector, different mag springs, different mag bases, added grip tape, added grip plug, marine striker cups, ss takedown pins.

hmmm, trigger and trigger bar are stock. frame and slide are stock. mag release and slide stop lever are stock Glock items. oh the locking block.

yeah, not a whole lot of stock there....

but in theory, i can get behind the idea of making SSP more strict and ESP jsut a tiny bit more open. I like the idea in SSP of making them entirely stock, let nothing be changed. not sights, not springs, not grips, not nothing. now that would be challenging.

I think the main reason those modifications are allowed in SSP is because there is almost no way to enforce them otherwise. You could measure the trigger pull at equipment checks and make sure it's the same as factory, but people will still shorten resets, length of pulls, etc. So to allow them evens the playing field.

Not being a Glock guy, with the exception of the obvious (barrel, mag base pads, etc.), I don't think I could tell the difference between Rowdy's gun and a factory one. So unless you had Rob Leatham checking XD's, Bob Vogel checking Glocks, and Bill Wilson checking 1911's, it would open the door for someone to do a lot of internal modifications that your normal MD probably wouldn't notice.

Right, and those guys have a Division for those guns, CDP.

i was just questioning the blanket statement that "All "issued" guns that are generally used for "service" are 4.5" barrels are less"

Hey I tempered that "all" with a "generally"!

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

In the U.S. keep tabs on how many 34/35s you see in duty holsters, besides Bob Vogel and the guy at Modern Service Weapons I have yet to encounter my first

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.