Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun belt is bringing me down...

Well, my pants atleast. :blush:

I am having some problems keeping my pants up during really active training and am desperate to come up with a solution before my next match, so as embarassing as it is, any tips?

My belt is as tight as it can go without making me wince or feel nauseaus when I sit down, its as far above my hip bones as my belly will let it go, (which is shrinking! lol )

I am considering getting my pants modified so that I can have some built in suspenders running underneath my shirt to make sure no one see's my underwear, or anything else that might get me DQ'd for unsportsman like conduct lol

Fitting back into pants that I have not been able to wear for over five years, as I have been losing weight with some better choices about what I eat, and how often I move lol but rest assured my pants fit properly, even did the finger in the waistline test !

Just all the extra weight makes them slide down, and I need to get it sorted before I go on a course of fire and have to worry about pulling up my pants while I am supposed to be shooting.

Thanks!

I've had good luck using Dickies Perry suspenders from Walmart. The part that connects to your belt is made differently and to me works a lot better than the traditional clamp

I do wear the under my shirts, but tucking in a short is somewhat of a challenge until you get the hang of it and accept that it won't be perfect in 3 areas where the connections are made

I wear the 5.11 Stryke pant. It has a hidden elastic waistband in it that seems to really help with keeping the pants up when wearing a heavy belt loaded with gun and mags. You might want to try a pant with a similar feature. And now that you've lost weight you should probably also by a pant with a smaller waist, keeping things snug from the get go.

What belt are you using? I have an uncle mikes that I was constantly adjusting, I went out and bought ~3 feet so double sided Velcro, slapped some d-rings on the end and now I've got an inner belt that I can pull as tight as I need in order to keep my pants up.

Soon after I got some DAA belts, and found them to be much better at keeping my pants up. I can use my DAA inner belt with my uncle mikes outer and have good success that way too.

In my experience it has come down to the inner belt

I wear the 5.11 Stryke pant. It has a hidden elastic waistband in it that seems to really help with keeping the pants up when wearing a heavy belt loaded with gun and mags. You might want to try a pant with a similar feature. And now that you've lost weight you should probably also by a pant with a smaller waist, keeping things snug from the get go.

+1 on the Stryker pants

I am sorry, should have mentioned that I am using a DAA inner/outer belt combo,

Looking for a pair of Stryke pants now,

And will re-measure to make sure my inner belt is the correct length.

When using a inner belt, do others use a normal belt underneath it too, or am I the only one? lol at the matches, the last thing I am trying to look at on other shooters is the number of belts they have on. Usually too busy gawking/drooling at them fancy race guns

I have been, but now that I know I am the oddball (lol) I am going to stop.

Maybe that will allow my inner belt to get more tight, without squishing me organs, and keep a better hold on my gear and pants!

I find suspenders work the best, puts the weight of the belt/holster/mag carriers on my shoulders. Kind of like carpenter rigs, none of those guys rely on just a belt.

I live with just a belt, them darn suspenders screw up my tan!

I've been wearing suspenders with my competition belt for several years now. But then I've been fashion impaired for quite some time.

Along with keeping my pants and gear in its proper position, its helped relieve some lower back pain.

I started with the Walmart Dickies brand suspenders but later graduated to Perry "Original" belt clip suspenders for USPSA. The wider straps have proven to be more comfortable.

I've even gone to the Perry "Ruf-N-Tuf" with thicker webbing (for heavier loads) when shooting 3 gun.

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

Bill

I find suspenders work the best, puts the weight of the belt/holster/mag carriers on my shoulders. Kind of like carpenter rigs, none of those guys rely on just a belt.

Only you would wear suspenders with a speedo.

Only you would wear suspenders with a speedo.
Yeah but that speedo is supporting a lot of weight....

elbandito, I understand your situation. I am in the same boat that you are in also. I have lost a fair amount of weight this year and am wearing pants that are a size to big. Not wanting to spend money on pants that won't fit in a short period of time as I am wanting to lose more weight.

I am using the CR Speed belt. Not enough of a difference from the DAA set up to make that big of a difference. Get rid of the regular belt under the inner belt. It won't allow the inner belt to tighten up enough to work right. I am cinching up the inner belt nice and tight (not enough to make it uncomfortable). I am having no issues. Try it without the standard belt under it all. YMMV.

Congratulations on losing the weight. It is tough to do, but I feel more energetic and a lot better.

DSG makes a really cool belt that buckles. They haven't had them in stock for awhile, I believe they are changing suppliers but they would be worth keeping an eye on.

elbandito, I understand your situation. I am in the same boat that you are in also. I have lost a fair amount of weight this year and am wearing pants that are a size to big. Not wanting to spend money on pants that won't fit in a short period of time as I am wanting to lose more weight.

I am using the CR Speed belt. Not enough of a difference from the DAA set up to make that big of a difference. Get rid of the regular belt under the inner belt. It won't allow the inner belt to tighten up enough to work right. I am cinching up the inner belt nice and tight (not enough to make it uncomfortable). I am having no issues. Try it without the standard belt under it all. YMMV.

Congratulations on losing the weight. It is tough to do, but I feel more energetic and a lot better.

Congrats to you too!

Thank you! I was lucky to have kept some of my older pants, so I have some in my current size. Girlfriend says once I am happy at where I am at thou, she is taking me shopping for some new outfits lol

I tried just the inner belt tonight and some sprinting, definately noticing some improvement!

Thanks again!

I have oposite problem as you do. oversize belly pushed pants down due to lack of matching ass. Good work suspenders solved the problem for me while I get the belly reduced. I agree with just using the inner belt and the outer on top.

JD

I'll add to the chorus of "get suspenders they're a godsend for those of us with odd shapes (or changing shapes due to diet)"

I currently suffer from two issues that effect how my belt fits,

first, I'm pear-shaped with no butt.

second, due to minor changes in diet and exercise level I've dropped two pant sizes in the past 18 months or so. enough that even when i'm wearing pants that fit, I can stretch or do something else that pulls my gut in slightly and run the risk of having a loaded gun-belt pulling my pants down!

So anyway, because of the above, I'm a big believer in Perry suspenders to keep my kit off the ground and my tighty whiteies out of sight....!

What a timely topic. Shot my first match yesterday and if my belt was tight enough I couldn't bend over, loosen it up and

it and pants felt like they were going to fall down. I thank you for this topic. I will go the suspender route for the quickest

short term solution and hopefully my fat butt will lose some weight in the very near future.

Chris

So I wanted to update this thread.

Saturday was my 3rd match. Was a little self conscious about wearing suspenders, so had them under my polo but over my underarmor, so no one had a clue lol

Not having to worry about my gear, was great! Felt good, and really kept everything in place.

Think it really helped my focus tho, so thank you to all who suggested them!

• 2 weeks later...

I think getting rid of the regular belt will pretty much solve it without the need for suspenders. get your inner daa belt puled nice and tight with shirt tucked in. then put on the outer belt. the inner belt does need to be pretty tight to provide a nice stable base. :)

• 2 weeks later...