Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tricked out a Glock 19 for CCP yet?

LeviSS

I was thinking about doing some mods on my G23 w/ 9mm conversion for CCP. I thought I'd see what set-ups others have.

Is there a mag well out there narrow enough to be legal?

Buddy of mine has a ZEV magwell on his. He's an SO so I assume he's measured it. We haven't had a box stage since he started shooting CCP so I haven't seem if it fits or not.

Even if you do, I doubt they modify the box for whatever division you're shooting, they likely will just use the SSP/ESP/CDP box.

I run a g19 for ccp with a 13lb spring and 147 loads at 135 pf. Cycles faster and shoots flatter vs the stock spring for me. The magwell width will have to be shaved by at least a 1/4" to fit the ccp box, the ccp box is the regular size with a 1/4" spacer to reduce the depth of the box. Maximum width of the ccp gun is 1 3/8" vs 1 5/8". Front and back of the magwell will be fine.

Edited by dee loo

• 1 month later...

Does it help much to change the recoil spring and guide rod on the compacts?

Other than that and the magwell, I can't think of much else on my 23 I want to change.

26bd7d55a21058c902782e5d06426b22.jpg8312b0bc5182740370e69b44955ab929.jpg0dff2c942f79f1131a2cc99f6db2db78.jpg00124c4c71316ec8abccdb446f1f1b68.jpg

CARVER Big Mouth magwell thinned down to fit in the 1 3/8" width IDPA box. Stock mags will seat flush in magwell.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Did you change out the striker spring? I tried a 15lb spring on a Jager gen4 rod and had trouble getting it to pass the vertical test. I ordered a set of Wolff 4, 4.5 and 5 Lb striker springs to try out and see if I can get it to work...should be here soon.

I wish someone made a magwell that would work without modification. I figure since it's legal you might as well.

Thanks for showing me your set-up.

Edited by LeviSS

I was thinking about doing some mods on my G23 w/ 9mm conversion for CCP. I thought I'd see what set-ups others have.

Is there a mag well out there narrow enough to be legal?

If you change barrels in you gun it must be of the same caliber. You cannot use the 9mm conversion barrel in competition. CCP rules are the same as ESP I believe.

8.2.2.2 ESP Permitted Features and Modifications (Inclusive list):

8.2.2.2.9 Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration that uses a stock or non-stock cartridge.

CCP is the same. SSP must be stock cartridge.

Edited by LeviSS

It may be the lighting but the grip plug looks like brass, those used to be illegal. I can't say I have studied the newest set of rules to see if that has changed.

Yeah. Especially since you can get a heavy magwell from Dawson with seven ounces of brass weight to it and it looks just like...you guessed it...the little brass one. With weight limits in divisions...why does it matter?!?

It may be the lighting but the grip plug looks like brass, those used to be illegal. I can't say I have studied the newest set of rules to see if that has changed.

Yeah. Especially since you can get a heavy magwell from Dawson with seven ounces of brass weight to it and it looks just like...you guessed it...the little brass one. With weight limits in divisions...why does it matter?!?

I have always thought that in my idpa days, why does it matter how you make weight... Just don't go over... But the old rules specifically forbid brass. I wasn't sure about the new rules, that's all.

I have always thought that in my idpa days, why does it matter how you make weight... Just don't go over... But the old rules specifically forbid brass. I wasn't sure about the new rules, that's all.
I recalled the brass ban as well. Why does a carry gun need a magwell...seems to limit concealment doesn't it? My 1911 in 10mm is not super concealavenient with its S&A magwell and Tripp Corey mags...but it fits a box.

Mine passes the vertical test with 4lb. Wolff striker spring and 14lb recoil spring.

I just got the Wolff springs and was able to get it to work great with a 15lb recoil spring and 4.5lb striker spring...exactly what I wanted. I also added a reduced power safety plunger spring while I was at it. I'm happy with the results. I just need to load up a bunch and shoot it a lot before the next match.

BTW, they just sent out a rules clarrifier today. Brass inserts are illegal. Here's a sampling of the text:

Since IDPA is a defensive scenario based sport, there are certain features or attachments that are not permitted. These are:

1. ...

2. Add-on weights, (but is not limited to) weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips, and weighted grip plugs.

Zev offers what they call an IDPA ESP legal magwell. I guess the insert on it is plastic?

• 3 weeks later...

SO a buddy of mine showed up to the match last night with a magwell on his 19. He got an Agency Arms magwell. They make magwells that accommodate backstraps even. The biggest plus is the bottom of the magwell keeps you from pinching on magazines and acts as a nice little extra finger groove to force the gun back into the webbing of your hand, made the 19 fell really good, and that is a gun I generally don't like.

SO a buddy of mine showed up to the match last night with a magwell on his 19. He got an Agency Arms magwell. They make magwells that accommodate backstraps even. The biggest plus is the bottom of the magwell keeps you from pinching on magazines and acts as a nice little extra finger groove to force the gun back into the webbing of your hand, made the 19 fell really good, and that is a gun I generally don't like.

Thanks! Do you know how wide the magwell is? Also, what material is the plug portion of the magwell made out of?

They say no weighted grip plugs, but most companies have metal plugs that the magwell then attaches to...so I'm confused about this. Can you email HQ for clarification?

Thanks! Do you know how wide the magwell is? Also, what material is the plug portion of the magwell made out of?

They say no weighted grip plugs, but most companies have metal plugs that the magwell then attaches to...so I'm confused about this. Can you email HQ for clarification?

He assured me it was IDPA legal, it was very narrow side to side so I don't think you'd run against "box" issues either. It is a very discreet magwell but it improved my grip on the gun with his medium beavertail. As high speed as that Agency Arms website is, I bet they could give you more info than you want on it.