Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUllet OAL

chetc

i have 4 9mm autos, my wife and I shoot weekly, 1 am staying with the 147gr FP coated bullet, my sig P320 touches lands at 1.160 and the shortest is the XDM touches at 1.080, the cz 75 touches the lands at 1.120, witness touches at 1.100, has anyone been down this road, can i load all at 1.080 and shoot them in all my guns, i am not a best shooter, but in the hands of a good shooter would there be any difference in accuracy, mainly been loading 3.1gr Titegroup, would there be much of a pressure difference to be concerned.

Chet

The short rounds will run in all of your guns but they may surprise you. I had the same problem with the XDm a few years ago. I ran the shorter rounds in all my guns so I didn't have to load just for the XDm. They all shot these perfectly and in a few guns were more accurate than loading longer. Eventually I had all the barrels throated so I could load them all longer. I found it was really not worth the money, the shorter rounds worked just as well.

Be careful with this. If it's the 147 grain bullet I'm thinking of, it may not seat as short as 1.08. The case walls in 9mm start to thicken .300 from the case mouth. That's the mechanical limit for seating depth. If you try to force it deeper than that, it will swage the base of the bullet, or bow out the case in the middle, or both. You don't want any of that.

If it's that truncated cone flat point profile used by BBI or Blue Bullets, you might find that it won't load shorter than around 1.12. I load them to 1.124 for my CZ, which is about .003 from the mechanical limit. I calculated that with measurements, not by jamming it in until it stops, so you might get a few hundredths past the .300 mechanical limit if the base is beveled, but it's not going to be much.

Archived