Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If I'm only reloading one pistol caliber, is the SDB a better bet

I'm probably not going to outlay an additional $600 for a bullet/case feeders as I don't shoot as much as a lot of you guys (~400 rounds a month or so in a good month, with an extra bump a couple times a year for the couple major matches I get out to). I'm running a Lee Turret now, and With all of my equipment dialed in, I can load 100 rounds in less than an hour, approximately. That said, I can't find an hour to load every week, and when i do have to load up for a match, good grief, 1600 pulls of a handle to load 400 rounds is just silly.

So the SDB, obviuosly uses proprietary dies. I'm only loading 45 ACP for now, if I switch divisions, then I might get another toolhead/dies, etc, or just use my turret.

I really like the SDB's auto index feature, and can't see jumping up to a 650XL right now... that said can some of you with experience chime in with the SDB? Please try to keep my situation in mind and be aware I'm not burning it down with 1-3k rounds per month.

SDB is a great little press. I load 9mm,40 and 38 sc on mine. Once I check it and get going I can load around 350 rounds a hour, that includes checking the rounds in a case gauge. I've loaded over 10000 rounds with no issues on my sdb.

You would be fine with the SDB! My buddy has one and he loads about a 1K a month on it without any issues. He is only loading 9mm and .40SW so it's perfect for him. Like you said, the only drawback I see with it is the use of non-standard dies. Other than that, it's a great little press.

I got a sdb to load 45acp, instead of buying a quick change for

my 550. I like loading on it the auto advance is very nice when

coming over from my 550. I use a strong mount with a bullet tray to match the 550. And the strong mount uses the same holes on the bench so I switch machines. I try to load at least 500 rounds at a time. I can load 350 to 400 an hour with out trying super hard. That doesn't count filling primer tubes, my least favorite part. Anyway, I like the little machine, I've never switched calibers so I don't know how quick that is.

If you already have Lee dies, and you like them (I personally like them a LOT), then a 550 makes as much sense to me as an SDB would, but you seem to like the idea of auto-indexing, and the 550 doesn't do it.

fwiw, either an sdb or a 550 makes it exceedingly easy to load 1-3k/month. I average 10 mins a day or so of reloading, usually while sipping my morning coffee or one of my evening beers and thinking about shooting.

I started with an SDB set up for 45 ACP over 25 years ago. I'm kind of anal so I load about 300/hour. I have a light from "Inline" over stations 2 & 3 so I can see the powder level. My original has been trouble free with a few primer parts replaced over the years by Dillon. When I started load .40 S&W I bought the complete changeover kit and a complete primer feed setup for small primers. That makes the changeover pretty quick,

I have since bought a second "stripped" press so I now have one dedicated to large primer and one for small primer.

Your rounds per month is similar to mine. I've accumulated quite a bit of brass so I'll set up and load 1 caliber for several hours at a time.

I think the SDB is a good unit and I do like the auto advance. Just keep all the stations full!

PJ

I have two SD's that are 30 years old and still load good ammo,full primer tube and a box of bullets on one side and box of brass on the other, I can load 100 rounds in 9.5 min.

That said, 30 years ago they cost $130. With the price they command now I would likely pick a different press (but no my SD's are not for sale).

I deprime on a single stage - stainless pin - Walnut w/Nu-Finish and then prime. I do a lot of brass at each stage, then load - size - powder and seat bullet. I don't "crimp", just make the sides of the case straight as the two pistol calibers I load (9mm and .45) come out wasp-waisted and I can not push a bullet into the case, trying as hard as I can.

I would do it differently if I shot as much as I used to, or as much as a lot of people on the site seem to do.

No, I've got 3 Lee Pro 1000s. On the 9mm and .45 I size, powder and seat bullet. On the .223 I size and deprime at the same time on the Classic Cast single stage and then clean, prime, etc. So for the .223s I just powder and seat bullet on the press.

A friend has three or four SDBs and follows the same procedure on the pistol cartridges and I've found I can load equally fast on either the Pro 1000 or the SDB. Removing the priming step is - I think - the key to easier loading on either of them.

I had faster presses way back when, but I shot a lot more then than I do now

Nothing, but takes time and seems to be the place where most problems occur. Also, IMHO, you get better quality priming by doing it by hand, less chance of a primer not being seated to full depth, etc.

I find priming off the press to mitigate the advantage of a progressive press substantially, at least as far as speed goes.

You are talking about at least two trips through the press and another handling of each case by hand to prime. Getting pretty close to turret press territory at that point.

I just do large batches in each stage, easier for me and I/you can sit around and prime while watching TV as most shows rarely require much concentration.

In the past I've had a couple of Star presses, an RL1000 and then a 650 but just don't need that much output any more.

I do admire all the time saving ways you have modified a lot of equipment to be better and faster but I personally don't need the speed and volume. Maybe it's got something to do with being a Super - Super Senior. :roflol:

I do admire all the time saving ways you have modified a lot of equipment to be better and faster but I personally don't need the speed and volume. Maybe it's got something to do with being a Super - Super Senior. :roflol:

I have (and still do) load stuff "the old fashion way" for 30 years now but like building things more than mundane tasks. With a 3 year old, I hardly have time to take a dump without being interrupted, you can forget about hand priming brass watching TV. "My turn, you need to share, etc" would be repeated over and over.

My push to finally finish the PLC controlled 1050 was not until she was born. As soon as she could stand, she would stand at the doors to the reloading room and watch it run.

IMG_20130718_135216_122_zpsdead8f17.jpg

Archived