Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone build a Single Stack USPSA Box?

EDA

Since I'm going to be modifying mag baseplates to fit "the box", I am going to need one. Was just going to build one out of plywood.

Anyone build one with alternative suggestions? I see benstoeger.com has one for sale, but they are out of stock and I don't know that I'd spend $50 for a box.

Thanks!

I just received my box from Ben Stoeger on Tuesday. I've been on back order for a while, but he had at least one in stock last week.

It's pretty pricey, but I can work late and pay for it quicker than I can build one.

I checked with them and didn't see it on their website. I know they were making for a while but maybe they did just a special run for USPSA and that was it. I will call them and see if they have it. And Ben is out of stock also.

This seems like something that would be a good candidate for a 3d printer. Don't know if there is an open source design available, but it would be easy enough draft.

A few years ago when I bought some Wilson 47DE mags I heard they were too long to fit the box when inserted. So I made myself a box using some scraps of poplar to make a frame and fastened it to a 1/4" plywood backer. Using that as my gauge I was able to figure out how much/where the 47DE basepads needed to be trimmed. I must have measured correctly since fast forward to this year I made it thru inspection at SS Nats just fine.

My box is nothing fancy, but it worked for my intended purpose.

I just received my box from Ben Stoeger on Tuesday. I've been on back order for a while, but he had at least one in stock last week.

It's pretty pricey, but I can work late and pay for it quicker than I can build one.

Did you happen to catch it in stock or did you put it on back order and then one magically appeared on your doorstep?

Hmm, a 3D printed one would be awesome. If I can make them, it sounds like people would buy one. What would people pay for one?

$20 would be great. It's not really something you'd use more than once.

I just did a quick look and it would take about 12-24 cubic inches of material to make the box, depending on wall thickness/density and how the item is set up to print. In our shop the cheaper plastic materials run about a buck per cubic inch, better materials several times more. So, if someone already had access to a printer it would fairly inexpensive to print out. To do it for a profit would put it in the ballpark of what the Shockbottle box costs, and the shockbottle box looks like a very nice item.

Edited by Bamboo