Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Nationals

BritinUSA

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone out there on the internet thinks its okay to take someone else's work and post it to YouTube

This person has downloaded some of my videos and compiled them into two YouTube videos, this person did not ask for my permission, he just took my work and uploaded it to YouTube, doing so grants YouTube license to use those videos in any way they wish.

post-293-0-42917800-1439430905_thumb.png

Edited by BritinUSA

Doesn't YouTube have a content copywrite honor policy that allows for deletion of content that has been used without approval of the original author?

Maybe it makes sense to add a "Live Shots" logo to the video image that way you can prove the footage is yours.

I've sent a complaint to Google/YouTube but I have not had a response so far. As to adding a logo to the video, that's not easy to do when I'm at the range, there were over 300 videos taken at the Production Nationals and adding icons to all of them would take hours, at the World Shoot there were over a thousand.

Each video file has EXIF data that indicates it is copyrighted:

post-293-0-14458400-1439505445_thumb.png

There's this myth that only steel-framed heavy guns can be competitive in Production, based upon these results I would say that the myth is….

attachicon.gifbusted.png

ok, will someone please report these results to the Board so we can get the CO weight restriction removed ..... :)

There's this myth that only steel-framed heavy guns can be competitive in Production, based upon these results I would say that the myth is….

attachicon.gifbusted.png

ok, will someone please report these results to the Board so we can get the CO weight restriction removed ..... :)

No, for the same reason that there was not a run on Berettas when Ben was kicking ass with his.

Paul> This may not be the response you want to hear, but the guy putting in the time and effort to compile stage win runs and match winner video's combined with the stage statistics is obviously something that he and others wanted to see. Maybe if you were to produce a video like that someone else wouldn't have to pirate your video and do it themselves? I understand that something like that would be impossible to do while at the range taking the footage, simply because you don't know who will win each stage much less the whole match. But once the results are final you should be able to compile the videos in a format like that.

If the match uses electronic scoring then I can put that into the title so its shows on the Video button (see the Combined Nationals videos : HERE)

Compiling all these videos is a time consuming process, I also have to find time to write the article for the match (which I have been struggling with for the past three evenings).

I spent 10 hours on the range each day that the main match was in progress, I have put so many hours into this service already, nobody pays me for any of the live coverage. Just because others find it interesting to watch is no justification for taking my work.

It looks like those videos have been taken down. Paul, if possible it would be great for you to post those compilations on Liveshots. They were very well done and interesting to see back to back.

It would also be great if you would make YouTube an option for your videos.

I can't view them from my Android phone and always have to install and then uninstall QuickTime when Nationals rolls around. I can't even maximize the videos when watching in QuickTime from my Windows system. YouTube would be much better and you could even monetize the videos to make at lease some lunch money for your efforts.

Edited by alma

The guy who did this took your raw work and improved it significantly. My understanding from posts on another site is that in addition to taking it down he also offered it to you for free (I don't believe he had any profit motive when he did this). Given that you have stated that time is an issue for you, perhaps you should consider trying to partner with this individual to assist with post production work that would improve your product.

The current format you are using really takes away from your product.

Edited by ToddKS

I do not post my videos to YouTube for the reasons indicated below, especially item b

a It it can take several minutes to several hours for an uploaded video to show on YouTube, I would then have to pull in the video-file name and populate that into my web-site. Currently this is done by uploading the video into a folder and then I have a program that simply reads that folder and creates the link.

b YouTube always allows the owners to retain ownership of their work. But what they ask in their terms of use is that you grant to YouTube a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual license to freely sub-license, re-distribute, re-publish, monetize, and whatever they may want to do with your video. They're basically requiring that you grant YouTube all of the same rights that you have with your video, short of turning over your rights to them. (I.e., assigning to YouTube your complete rights.)