Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson DP#2 vs Binary Engineering CFD Compensator

Tochnost

Hi All,

Thinking of converting my old Tripp framed 2011 38 super with old school small comp over to 9 major or building a replacement open gun. After reading way too much on this site it seems like two of the most liked comps are the Dawson DP#2 and the CFD comp from Binary Engineering, I was looking for some feedback from those of you who may have had the chance to try both and would be willing to share any thoughts or pros and cons. I understand that better is extremely subjective, but as I might not have the chance to shoot either before I buy was just hoping to hear some of the characteristics that you have experienced.

Some possible feedback topics:

Dot movement

Muzzle rise/"flatness"

Straight back recoil/"softness"

Also if you are willing to share let us know:

What configuration of gun it was on (I.e. shorty/full size, 38 sup/9 maj, popples? etc.)

Load data

Anything else you think may be relevant

Thanks!!!

I really love my CFD comps. If you have ever searched and found any of my talks about comps, I have tried pretty much everything out there and a lot are just ok, some are terrible without conditions, and a few are really good. I'm no authority on them but I know a good feeling gun when I shoot it. The CFD was an instant hit when I put it on. The dot was more predictable and was more vertical as it should be. I didn't feel any difference in softness (powder makes a huge difference), most all feel the same to me in that department unless you are talking about AR comps - that's a totally different story. The one thing you want with your load development and the comp is make it where it always resets back to the same spot for follow up shots without unnecessary movement. The DP2 is a very good comp also but the biggest distraction from it is the weight. The CFD being Ti is very light and there is a very delicate balance between slide weight, comp weight and length, and a few other factors (see Gary Gans write up on it). The DP2 caused me some issues with the pistol I was shooting at the time and the CFD cleared that up and ran great. Believe me, I would back up both comps but if I had to pick one, it would be the CFD.

I've owned pistols with the DP1, Millennium Custom, Brazos thundercomp 1 and 2, and stock trubore comps.

I'm a big fan of side ports as it seems to help keep the dot track straight up down better than ones without. For instance, the millennium custom, which had two side ports on the last 2 (of 3) chambers was ok until I had side ports drilled into the first chamber. It tracked better for me after that.

The DP1 was OK, but it was too heavy for my taste. If I bought another pistol with a DP comp, I'd drill sideports into each of the first three chambers and chop off the last port to lose some of the weight. There's probably not much gas left by then anyway.

Out of them, I prefer the Brazos thundercomp 2.

Edited by al503

Thanks for your input gentlemen.

al503- I appreciate your comments on the weight and comparing with some other comps as well.

gng4life - I have read Gary's write up and have been thinking along the same lines of going lighter for barrel lug longevity and reliability without lightening the slide as severely. Current setup is a cone comp which is how I would go if I went with the DP2. Would you mind if I ask what loads you like for use with the CFD comp? Running 3N38 in my current setup but I don't think the existing comp is efficient enough to take full advantage of all that gas.

Thanks again.

I would not build a full sized bull barrel 2011 with a steel comp. I have the Binary Engineering on a full size 9mm which is pretty awesome, but I wouldn't rule out the Akai gill comp either, it's by far the softest in the hand among those I've shot.

kneelingatlas- Thanks for your comments. Seem like the CFD seems to be winning in this decision based on weight alone. I saw a pic of that mean looking burnt bronze open pistol of yours with the CFD and was hoping you'd chime in. Just to clarify, are you saying you think the Akai feels "softest". Do you have a clear pref between the two? Also I've heard the akai needs barrel ports to work best, is that your experience as well? I am thinking 9mm major, no barrel ports, at least for now....

Thanks!

I have the Binary comp on my recently completed build. See it on the last page of the open gun pic thread in the Gallery forum. My back up gun has the Bedell Ti comp, which I did like. I'm still working out the load and recoil spring that the Binary will like the best. I've shot Montana Gold 121 IFP at 175pf for a long time, and this load generates a lot of gas using HS6. I started loading a case of 124 CMJ with Silhouette at 175pf. I see more dot movement, but it is straight up and down. I will probably go back to the 121 when these bullets are gone.

Just to clarify, are you saying you think the Akai feels "softest". Do you have a clear pref between the two?

I'm going some work on the Akai gun, so I haven't shot them side by side, nor have I put a lot of rounds through it, but from memory I'd say muzzle flip is about the same, but the Akai is much softer (less snap or straight back push).

It's going to be hard to compare those two because while they both have two 3/16" holes, the Akai has a 4.9" 38 barrel while the other has a 5.4" 9 barrel.

I recently switched from 3N37 to Autocomp due to what I could get, and find it really nice as well. 9mm major, 2 3/16" barrel holes and CFD comp at 170pf is great. Dot movement is great, and I find that moving above 170pf just made things harsher with no other improvements.