Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Position Entry Question

ardo

Go ahead & make fun of me if you think this is stupid - or too obvious...

Training position entry in dry-fire, I just realized that, when moving downrange, I am more stable & can start shooting faster if I enter with my left foot and just gently bring my right foot in (I`m right-handed) while raising the pistol to eye level. Am I imagining things, or is this something every advanced shooter knows?

When moving into position from the side, I lead with my left foot when moving left, and with my right foot when moving right. But I never thought this order would be important when moving forward.

I still have to test this in live-fire.

I believe I also am a little more stable entering with my left foot first. I think my normal shooting stance may have my left foot slightly more forward, and i certainly am comfortable surfing and snowboarding with the left foot forward.

I think it's different for everyone, but one of the good things about dry-fire (and practice in general) is that you can find out what works for you. Armed with that knowledge you can either remember to plan stages to take advantage of that, or you can practice entering on the other foot until you are equally good at both.

I personally practice things like drawing while stepping forward on either foot, and I practice turn and draws both directions. you never know when you might need to do it without making a mess of it.

Note that if you are waiting to bring the pistol up until you are already in the position and bringing your right foot in, you are waiting too long. Most good shooters find it faster to have the sights up on target as early as possible.

Everyone is different but your dominant foot will always give you a better platform to use. It's more instinctive than anything.

A test to figure out which your dominant foot is is to stand straight up, shoulders and feet squared up and have someone give you a little shove from behind.

The foot you put out to stop yourself is your dominant one.

Also if your face touches the ground, you were shoved too hard lol

Figuring out your leading or dominant foot is how you figure out your stance/which way you face when snowboarding, skateboarding, longboarding ect.

Seems like you have found yours!

No such thing as a stupid question, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that ridicules you here, I'm newer but have been lurking for a time, and this group is all about positive support and boosting yourself through knowledge and shared experiences.

• 6 months later...

Funny coming across this post today as I was training with another shooter yesterday and this was one of the things we were working on. I agree with op that I too feel more comfortable and stable entering an array on my left foot. Funny how the little things add up and make a big difference in a stage.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's great you brought this up. I haven't got that far yet, but I was thinking about foot steps during upward facing draws and while moving laterally and shooting. When there are fractions of a second separating you from the next shooter, every part counts.

I was reading about Max Michel (Sig USPSA shooter) and he talks a lot about shooting on the move, more particularly shooting as he enters a shooting position. I don't recall him talking about particular feet, but he mentions keeping the knees bent and small steps to smooth things out, and trying to divorce the lower part of your body from your torso so you can stay in a shooting position.

I'm right handed but have a dominant left foot. To me it seems like it would be more natural shooting from my left foot. It also is more natural for me to ski (snow and water) on my left foot for whatever that's worth.

Unfortunately most things I am decent at come natural to me, and when I stop to think about the process I get all jammed up. Trying to work on foot position during upward facing draws seemed to confuse me and slow me down. Without thinking about it I had some pretty good times.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't let anything throw you off. Practice what you need to so that you don't have to pull the "I can't do..." excuse. This goes for everything. Shooting from left to right or right to left. Entering from a certain direction. Foot work needed to get smoothly into a shooting position. It's all dependent on the fastest/smoothest path through the stage and should NOT be dependent on your perceived ability.

The most important aspect of entry would be the "brake with your trailing leg" that Panda is so good at teaching. (among others) When you brake with your trailing leg it allows a smooth entry into the shooting position. It doesn't match up to left or right foot, but rather is dictated by the foot that happens to enter the shooting position at the point you need to start slowing down and aiming. Almost always this will be the right leg if moving from right to left, but don't want to give any absolutes here.

Training position entry in dry-fire, I just realized that, when moving downrange, I am more stable & can start shooting faster if I enter with my left foot and just gently bring my right foot in (I`m right-handed) while raising the pistol to eye level. Am I imagining things, or is this something every advanced shooter knows?

When moving into position from the side, I lead with my left foot when moving left, and with my right foot when moving right. But I never thought this order would be important when moving forward.

I still have to test this in live-fire.

You should have your gun up and firing grip a couple of steps before you get to your shooting position.

• 2 weeks later...