Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Middle finger for trigger finger?

divenshort

On 6/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, jpm2953 said:

I was just about to mention Merle. Shot with him at BITB last year and the RO tried to DQ him for having his finger in the trigger whilst moving. Merle said it wasn’t the first time that happened. 

7 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Sorry. Forgot that detail. His index finger is missing the top half of it. He shoots with his middle finger. So it looks like his index finger is in the trigger guard while he’s doing a reload.

LOL!  How many times did he do the "picking his nose" routine?  Merle is always fun to shoot with, but don't ever ask him if he's a touch typist!

Nolan

• 7 months later...
On 6/3/2015 at 1:21 AM, divenshort said:

Wondering if I am the only one who uses there middle finger as there trigger finer? My fingers are super short and using my middle finger just feels more natural to me then my index finger. Any pros or cons to this?

I've only seen it with a shooter that lost their index finger in an accident. 

10 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

Really seems like no point in doing it unless you have severely restricted function in your index finger, or don't have an index finger at all.

I'm with this guy.  Seems like you're giving up 25%-33% of your grip and leverage for returning the gun for no reason if you don't have a physical disability and aren't shooting a G26.  

Never heard of anyone teaching this as best practice for a healthy, non-damaged, non-disabled shooter.  But the intrawebs is a big place and I'm sure someone is instagramming the praises of it somewhere I suppose.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:21 PM, ConservativeChristian said:

I use my middle finger simply because it seems to give me better stability and thereby, confidence.  I also was never taught how to shoot so I had to make up my own method.

I had a custom built with an extra large trigger guard. I use 2 fingers, alternating. Splits are fire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been shooting about 2 months maybe 2,000 rounds in my life.   I did some private instruction.  I was taught to use my index figure.

I use the range gun a CZ 75 Tactical Sport I've done 1,000 rounds with.  
I bought my first gun yesterday a CZ 75 B Retro.  I started dry firing it...a lot.  I found using my middle finger there was less to no movement.  So...I web searched and found this forum and this thread.  
I'll try soon and see what works best for me.  I have a hunch in slow methodical shooting the middle finger might work fine/better on this gun.  On the TS (and TS2 my kid is giving me) the trigger being so light I expect the index finger might be better. 

I'm 60+ so likely I'm going to just be a target guy, but I liked the grip with two fingers on the grip and index guiding that felt better to me.  I have big hands and preferred the index below the slide.  I'm sure the instructors will not approve.  

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot my glock 34 that way because the grip is so big and my natural trigger finger is short it works great on that gun  but i shoot my 1911's with my trigger finger i get a good grip on my glock no problem.

• 1 year later...