Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

@the 3 Gunners

Iggy42

Just wondering if any of you guys that are running Tanfos in 3 Gun have any videos up

I am thinking about going Tanfo from an XDm for 3 gun, but I am curious to see how you manipulate the slide on empty chamber starts. Also the CZ/Tanfo bent/curved safety on abandonment, I used to shoot a 1911 in single stack so I'm familiar with the 1911 style safeties.

I 3 gun. I don't have any videos but charging the gun is simple and easy.

Is it the 1/2 slide that concerns you?

The safety you just push up like a 1911 safety if you have long thumbs, or you push down on the very back if you have short thumbs

I 3 gun. I don't have any videos but charging the gun is simple and easy.

Is it the 1/2 slide that concerns you?

The safety you just push up like a 1911 safety if you have long thumbs, or you push down on the very back if you have short thumbs

Yeah, I normally go over the top near the rear sight. I wasn't sure if the half slide would give me an issue or not.

I always grab the front serrations as I feel its faster and more natural. I would rate myself as "fast" when it comes to racking a gun under pressure.

I don't know anyone I shoot with that grabs the rear of the slide.

I usually just use the front cocking serrations too, they are plenty sharp on tanfo's, but my concern with my Stock II is that my hand comes dangerously close to the muzzle when doing so, especially at speed. On a Limited, limited pro, or stock III its less of an issue because you have an extra half inch of slide/barrel before the cocking serrations, but on the Stock II the serrations go right up to the end of the slide. This is one of the reasons I am considering the TS rear sight. Has anyone ever been called out on swiping themselves in a situation like this?

I always grab the front serrations as I feel its faster and more natural. I would rate myself as "fast" when it comes to racking a gun under pressure.

Near the rear sight, not the rear of the slide. Can see what I mean in the vid below - should start at the 1:13 mark where I reload on an empty chamber

https://youtu.be/ZXlgLwc0fhM?t=1m13s

I shoot a TS in 3 gun, I grab the slide overhand at the rear, even without the giant factory rear sight ledge I've never had a problem. As far as abandonment goes, if I have any space between my final shooting position and the dump bucket I'll drop the mag and rack the round out en route to the bucket. If the bucket is right next to my last position I'll just keep an eye on the safety as it goes in. It probably costs me an extra .5 second to verify the safety is on but it's better than a trip to Dairy Queen.

As far as abandonment goes, if I have any space between my final shooting position and the dump bucket I'll drop the mag and rack the round out en route to the bucket. If the bucket is right next to my last position I'll just keep an eye on the safety as it goes in. It probably costs me an extra .5 second to verify the safety is on but it's better than a trip to Dairy Queen.

Haha yes this ^^^^^

Near the rear sight, not the rear of the slide. Can see what I mean in the vid below - should start at the 1:13 mark where I reload on an empty chamber

Yes that is the rear of the slide.. :)

You can rack that way with the Tanfoglios just fine if you want. I shot an XDm (just last week) and you'll find the Tanfoglio a much most stable platform. I don't have any vids that I can find showing a cold table start but I could film one if I remember this weekend.

As far as abandonment goes, if I have any space between my final shooting position and the dump bucket I'll drop the mag and rack the round out en route to the bucket. If the bucket is right next to my last position I'll just keep an eye on the safety as it goes in. It probably costs me an extra .5 second to verify the safety is on but it's better than a trip to Dairy Queen.

Haha yes this ^^^^^

Yes that is the rear of the slide.. :)

You can rack that way with the Tanfoglios just fine if you want. I shot an XDm (just last week) and you'll find the Tanfoglio a much most stable platform. I don't have any vids that I can find showing a cold table start but I could film one if I remember this weekend.

Too bad my shooting was horrible in that vid - Granted its not a ton better normally, but it is better than that usually.

When I hear rear of the slide I think of someone pinching the sides of the slide from behind with their thumb and fore-finger.

I would appreciate it if you could. There aren't any Tanfo guys around here that I know of, but there are some CZ users that I am trying to get together with to send some ammo down range. I did own a Limited in .40 briefly a few years ago that I was able to put about 200 rounds through just standing there hitting a target. However, I have never been on the gun with one in anything close to a match scenario.

While I am thinking about it, are there any WRS style holsters out there for Limited/Limited Pro? If I go Tanfo I am debating between those two models, I know the Limited is a little more 3 gun ready, but being that I would end up gutting a lot of it I am considering a Lim Pro.

Blade-tech doesn't list EAA/Tanfo under the WRS, but for 3 gun that is the holster style I prefer - seen too many people lose their guns from regular Blade-techs.

Retension level 2 and 3 holsters make sense for "open carry" and uniformed law enforcement because someone might try to take your handgun, but for competition all you have to do is degrease the retension screws with brake cleaner spray, let it dry, apply green or blue locktite and adjust the screws as tight as you want.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Retension level 2 and 3 holsters make sense for "open carry" and uniformed law enforcement because someone might try to take your handgun, but for competition all you have to do is degrease the retension screws with brake cleaner spray, let it dry, apply green or blue locktite and adjust the screws as tight as you want.

Thanks for your opinion, but I have seen too many pistols not stay holstered not to run a level 2 of some kind. WRS is my preference but blade-tech doesn't make it for Tanfos so I need to know if something else is out there, or if a WRS for a different pistol will work.

Yeah from what I have been able to find that seems to be the favored method for Tanfo/CZ users - I have never been comfortable utilizing it hence my search for someone that chambers a round in a style similar to how I was taught.