Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Shadow Targe

valerko

Am I understanding correctly ?

My CZ SP01 Shadow Target is illegal in IDPA?

I got actuall bigger match coming up end of the month and was reading the rule book and based on what I'm reading it's illegal because of the full length dust cover ?

If so, I'm screwed

I just got GP Excalibur and that is no good for IDPA as well

My CZ 75 TS is too heavy

97 has full dust cover as well

Even Berreta 92g brigadier would be illegal because rail is too long

This is too confusing , looks like only thing I can use is my Springfield TRP , but that's CDP , not what I usually shoot

Daaaang

SP-01 Shadow Target is not legal for IDPA's SSP not because of the FLDC but because the slide has been milled to accept the LPA adjustable rear sight by CZC, which in the eyes of IDPA HQ not an official branch of CZ-UB. However if you had an SP-01 Shadow with a rear sight that uses the OFM dovetail that comes on the Shadow you'd be good to go.

We found out about this last fall about the same time the Accu Shadow was deemed illegal. Major bummer. The previous 2005 rulebook said changing sights was OK, however they added a sentence to that rule in the 2013 IDPA rulebook that said milling of the slide to accept a different type of sight was not legal. Can't remember the exact rule.

Yes , but aren't slide machining permitted in ESP ? So if regular Sp01 shadow is legal for SSP , Target version should be legal in ESP ?

This is too confusing.

The only way to get it into ESP is through the SSP exception, since ESP explicitly doesn't allow the long dust cover.

To use the SSP to ESP exception, it would have to be legal in SSP. The slide cut for the new sight makes it illegal for SSP, so you can't use the exception.

Technically though, it's still the dust cover that keeps it out of ESP.

At least that's how that rule was explained to me.

Yup, I'm no expert, but the way our IDPA director explained it to me (and the way I read it) it still has to be legal in SSP to make it into ESP with the exception.

It can't make in with the exception and then be modified. Then it wouldn't be legal in SSP anymore, the exception no longer applies and so would its legality.

You can always ask the folks at IDPA directly...but good luck getting an answer. I never got an answer on the question I asked (13 months, but it's a moot point for me now).

Maybe they are answering stuff now though, with the rule changes being made and all.

• 4 months later...

I have a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom 2014 model 91030 that is SSP and ESP legal.It has the full dust cover but the sight is Fixed and in a Factory Shadow sight cut on the slide.It would still be SSP and ESP legal even if I was to put a CZ Halo (height Adjustable only 0because it would use the same factory sight cut.If I was to have the slide cut for a low mount Adjustable that would make it illegal in both classes.I also have a CZ 75 Shadow Accu Lite 91736 that is ESP legal only even though it has the bushing it still only has the short dust cover which is legal.I called IDPa headquarters and ran this buy them before buying both.

Edited by bassman5

To the original poster you could buy another top end from CZ Custom with a Fixed or Halo sight that has not been cut for a LPA adjustable sight.I think ht competition top end is like 650 dollars complete which is almost the price of a couple CZ USA gun.But the Custom shop stuff is real accurate !!!

I'm banking on fact that any gun legal in SSP is legal in ESP and THEN there's alowed modification , like slide machining ....

Wishful thinking ???:):):)

Bank all you want. The situation is not complex. Any gun legal for SSP is legal for ESP, however in order to use that rule the gun must remain SSP legal. When the slide was milled for the sight it is no longer eligible for SSP so it is not ESP eligible using the SSP into ESP rule.

I feel your pain...I have an accu shadow that is not legal to play in idpa. Recently purchased a cz 91715 to be legal and hopefully not be outlawed as the rules continue to change.

A CZ 91030 would also be legal in SSP and ESP u under the new rules since the overall weight allowed has went up to 43 oz.

Edited by bassman5

I have a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom 2014 model 91030 that is SSP and ESP legal.It has the full dust cover but the sight is Fixed and in a Factory Shadow sight cut on the slide.It would still be SSP and ESP legal even if I was to put a CZ Halo (height Adjustable only 0because it would use the same factory sight cut.If I was to have the slide cut for a low mount Adjustable that would make it illegal in both classes.I also have a CZ 75 Shadow Accu Lite 91736 that is ESP legal only even though it has the bushing it still only has the short dust cover which is legal.I called IDPa headquarters and ran this buy them before buying both.

Just to verify before I put down $1300... The model 91030 is legal for SSP? You actually called IDPA HEADQUARTERS and they said it was?? Thanks and sorry.... Just a little bit of cash to spend and I want to be sure

T

I guess I asked because of the external mods done on 91030 with the hammer and trigger??? Still SSP LEGAL??

T

If the external mods are from another gun produced by the OEM MFG or installed by the OEM in the factory, then it's OK. So a stock 85 combat trigger is OK, but changing the set screw for a longer one is technically illegal. Stuart at CZ Custom can probably answer your question for you, he told me in another thread that the comp hammer comes on some other version of the shadow. Ad the slide cut for the target sight makes the Shadow Target illegal, as is well established at this point.

Edited by ArrDave

I guess I asked because of the external mods done on 91030 with the hammer and trigger??? Still SSP LEGAL??

T

If the external mods are from another gun produced by the OEM MFG or installed by the OEM in the factory, then it's OK. So a stock 85 combat trigger is OK, but changing the set screw for a longer one is technically illegal. Stuart at CZ Custom can probably answer your question for you, he told me in another thread that the comp hammer comes on some other version of the shadow. Ad the slide cut for the target sight makes the Shadow Target illegal, as is well established at this point.

That's great! Thanks for your help. It was the hammer that had me thinking. I really just want it SSP legal as I would probably consider a purpose built 2011 better for ESP. I will give Stuart a call.

T

Edited by Tattoo

• 3 months later...

I have a Vektor SP1 (SA copy of Beretta )....but with a SA trigger....therefore not SSP legal..

FLDC (aluminium frame ) is 90mm....rule 8.2.2.3.1 says NOT legal for ESP

Whilst I am not one to kick the rules if they don't suit me ...I would like to know what competitive advantage I am getting...

The rules are simply the rules, unless you read them incorrectly.

8.2.2.1.7 All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25”) to still be used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements.

8.2.2.3.1 Steel dust covers and rails over 3.25” (82.6 mm) (as measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the most forward portion of the dust cover or rail) are not permitted.

thanks for the info......the pistol is NOT SSP legal ....it is SA only.....

do I try the route of STEEL ...as my pistol is ALUMINIUM frame

the range N@#$% have not spotted this extra length since 2009 when I started using it in ESP....

.....my club chair mentioned it in passing.....after the last club shoot last year.....

otherwise will have to "retire" and go to another discipline...