Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XM193 reload

The Donald

Anyone have a recipe for a 55 gr hoser type load, like XM193. I have around a 1,000 Hornaday bullets with cannelure and some different powders to try like CFE223, H335, even some VV N140. My rifle shoots XM193 around 1 MOA and would like something in that area.

Thanks

Anyone have a recipe for a 55 gr hoser type load, like XM193. I have around a 1,000 Hornaday bullets with cannelure and some different powders to try like CFE223, H335, even some VV N140. My rifle shoots XM193 around 1 MOA and would like something in that area.

Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way but why don't you work up a load starting at the suggested starting load and work up. You will learn more about your rifle and your reloads this way.

Duplicating NATO cartridges (cloning)

http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/duplicatingnato

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

NOTE: The Duplicating NATO cartridges (cloning) above and the page below from Reloader Magazine list 26 grains of H335 as maximum for the longer throated AR15 rifles.

PagesfromReloadingSemiautoRifles_zpscec2

Below max chamber pressure for the .223/5.56 is 55,000 psi, my practice ammunition below is 50,000 psi from Quickload.

288_zps26698a67.jpg

I would not trust any load information given on the internet by faceless strangers and suggest you work up a load like I did and be safe. Again doing this you will learn more about your rifle and reading your primers and brass.

You will also see if you look in AR15 reloading forums the majority of the "blasting practice ammo" for 55 grain bullets and H335 powder runs from 24.7 to 25.3grains of H335 BUT this does not mean it will be the best load for your rifle.

Be safe.

Edited by bigedp51

I agree on working them up. You'll likely find a mid-range load that shoots well in your rifle.

I'm curious on your definition of 'hoser loads' in this case - the Hornady 55gr FMJBT or SPs are the most accurate 55gr bulk bullets I've found to date - by a fair amount.

So much so, and after a fair amount of frustration trying various other brands, that I pretty much just shoot them out to ~300 yards or so. Anything further, or a match primarily long-range, I might use 69gr SMKs or Noslers, but otherwise it's the Hornady's.

The only true 'hoser load' I have is eating up the Xtreme 55gr FMJs that just don't seem to shoot in my rifle, at least to date. I won't use those beyond 50-100 yards max.

The Hornady's should give you what you're asking for, though - consistent ~1MOA.

With XM193 I can easily hit out to 200-300 yds. Can hit targets at 400-500 yds but takes a bit more work.

I had tried a bunch of loads with the CFE223 with both Nosler 69 gr and 77 gr and Hornaday 75 gr bullets. Had charges form +.3 gr over minimum to -.2 gr from maximum off of the Hodgden website. None were close to bulk M193 and the rounds were really opened up getting to maximum charges. I would load up 10 rds in the range for the bullet in .3 gr increments.I'm looking for some place to start with both the H335 and will try some CFE223. I have around 10 lbs of CFE223 so be nice if I can make it work.

Edited by The Donald

• 4 weeks later...

Loaded some test rounds with the CLE223 I have since I have quite a bit of it. Loaded 20 rds of different charges, from .2 over minimum to .2 below maximum. Each group was .3 grains between each other.

One change I did make was check my crimp die, was using a Dillon. Changed it to the Lee FCD, set up as Lee recommends.

My best groups at 100 yds. was using 27 grs (right in the middle of the range of charge) CLE223. Groups were 5 shots each from a Lead Sled. Best was 4 bullet holes touch at the center of the target, with the 5th about a a 1/2" from the group of four.

Most of the problem I think was the crimp die, may have had the Dillon set slightly too much.

I load 24.7 gr of h335 with hornady 55 fmj bt w canalure from the handy 6000 pack. I load them as long as they will go without binding in the mags and without touching the rifling. That load in decent brass is usually moa ish from my guns.

I load 24.7 gr of h335 with hornady 55 fmj bt w canalure from the handy 6000 pack. I load them as long as they will go without binding in the mags and without touching the rifling. That load in decent brass is usually moa ish from my guns.

The reason I used the CFE is I have 8-9 lbs. of it. I did pick up a pound of H335, but since I have the CFE working will work with it.

I think the problem was the crimp die. I feel real comfortable using this load out to 300 yds.