Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

making 38 super cases out of 223 cases?

jnsnchzaz

I heard a myth that you can trim a .223 case to the length of a 38 super case and it will work in an open sti.

Here are my questions.

Is it possible?

Is it reliable?

Is it safe?

I am working on purchasing a sti gm in 38 super and I have a ton of 223 brass. if this is a posiblity, it would be nice to save some money on 38 super brass. :D

let me know what you thinks...pros and cons.

Possible, but that juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Maybe sell some of the .223 brass and use the money towards buying 38 super. Starline has all of the 38 super variants in stock now.

I saw a neat set up with a case feeder and a auto drive to trim brass. They used it for converting .223 to .22 tcm. They made a video of it and sorta explained the set up. Perhaps if you did that and trimmed a few k in an afternoon then that would be well worth it.

Here is one video. I'm not sure if you shoot .300 blk or whisper. Or convert/shoot enough to make it worth it but it seems like it may be a good idea if you would use it enough to purchase the set up. If you had a huge stock pile of 223 brass or had a local range that gave you all the free .223 you wanted you could basically shoot 223/super cooper/ WTF did I pick up, and just leave the brass like the 9mm guys do.

I dont have a horse in this race but wouldnt it be better to just sell your 223 & buy 38 super or sc? Then you have brand new unfired one single headstamp known history brass?

I guess if you have LOTS of time to trim it, it might be ok but I think I would pass on that much trimming.