Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting COF with Hammer Cocked in Production

d_striker

When I made the switch from Limited to Production (with a CZ) in October, I spent a ton of time just working on "make ready" during my dry fire. I did it over and over again until I'd effectively overwritten the "make ready" routine I'd used with a limited gun.

These days, I don't do that part very often in dry fire. But I know it stuck. I took a couple weeks off from production recently to shoot Single Stack Nationals. And twice during the match, I had to stop myself from lowering the hammer on my 1911 during "Make Ready." Earned a couple puzzled glances from the ROs.

I'm curious, how many of you rack the slide and lower the hammer during dry fire .......

EVERY SINGLE TIME .....

if you are not practicing exactly the same techniques in dry fire how do you expect to perform them correctly under the pressure of a match?

Every single time?? Do you have dummy rounds in your mags when you dry fire?

Every rep prior to placing your gun in the holster you rack the slide, eject a dummy round to the floor, lower hammer and then hit the timer, that is a lot of time wasted if you are going to do 20 draws to sight picture.

That is a lot of time practicing make ready.

Maybe first rep per exercise I could understand but not every rep.

Every single time?? Do you have dummy rounds in your mags when you dry fire?

Every rep prior to placing your gun in the holster you rack the slide, eject a dummy round to the floor, lower hammer and then hit the timer, that is a lot of time wasted if you are going to do 20 draws to sight picture.

That is a lot of time practicing make ready.

Maybe first rep per exercise I could understand but not every rep.

Every time I get a hold of the gun, whether its from holster or table start, the hammer is always down. If I'm practicing an unloaded or no round in chamber start, yes I always clear the chamber/mag then pull the trigger to put the hammer down for the next rep.

Ok, so I misread your orginial question ....

here's how I dryfire with my Shadow ...

- I never chamber any dummy rds since they are quite beat up and probably wouldn't fit anyway

- a lot of my dry fire I don't pull the trigger but when I'm practicing my draw I do practice my pre shoot stage routine and lowering the hammer after cocking it with my thumb to simulate racking the slide. Since this is a 'go home' mistake if I screw it up I practice manually decocking the hammer a lot ... I also think its very important to practice your preshoot mental program during dry & live fire and not just at matches ...

sorry for the confusion ...

I only asked because I don't practice my load and make ready routine very often.

I don't dry fire as much as I should so when I do I usually have other stuff to work on.