Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on CFE for 45?

ArrDave

Doing my homework, it appears 5.5-5.6 grains loaded out to 1.25-6 behind a coated LRN will reliably net a 170 PF... Starting to be that time again, not in love with my current powder and CFE seems to come up for sale locally more reliably... Anyone using it?

Also, 700x has come up here locally... in my Lyman book that's the "most accurate" powder, I seem to recall, but I hear it meters poorly (or meters well... once it's "settled in" to the hopper)

Thoughts?

First off, Lyman's books are old, so they are referring to the "older" 700X, not the "new". IMO, CFE is waaaay too slow to use for 170PF in 45 ACP, unless you really like noise and recoil.

There are lots of more suitable powders out there and on dealer shelves. Unfortunately, they are mostly in 1lb containers. 8 pounders are more rare. Here are some Alliant powders that will do an excellent job for your load: e3, Promo, Red Dot, American Select, Green Dot. Add to them Hodgdon Clays, Ramshot Competition and Solo 1000 and you have a lot to choose from.

Walked into a deal on some 4# jugs of 700x. Test fired 100 loaded out to 1.270 with 4.5 grains. Very soft shooting. i've bumped the load to 4.6 to see if I can get more of the unburnt powder to participate.