Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules you would like to see changed.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how a stage would work out if all paper and static steel were optional weapon...1 slug, 2 pistol, 3 rifle hits required...I might try that at a local match and see what happens.

Well .. that's pretty much 3GN rules isn't it? The Freedom Munitions match last weekend made abundant use of this, paper could be engaged with pistol or shotgun slug, longer range slug targets would be engaged with 2 pistol shots, most steel targets were pistol or shotgun, clays shotgun only. It made for really interesting choices, specially when you are going to have your shotgun in your hands anyway, do you dump it and draw your handgun or do you load 2 slugs for those 2 paper?

I liked it, and stage design made it so pistol wasn't always the right answer, even on paper.

Edited by Vlad

Wonder how a stage would work out if all paper and static steel were optional weapon...1 slug, 2 pistol, 3 rifle hits required...I might try that at a local match and see what happens.

Oh no! That would be terrible for me! My inner old Swiss fart will emerge and try to factor ammo cost into my stage plans and I'll be attempting long range paper with my pistol to save $1.83 per stage.

Am I reading this thread right???

The discussion suggests (my perception) that a number of contributors are requesting to have target size specified in the match ruleset? How many of you would decide to shoot (or not shoot) a match based upon the target size specified in the rules?

The discussion suggests (my perception) that a number of contributors are requesting to have target size specified in the match ruleset? How many of you would decide to shoot (or not shoot) a match based upon the target size specified in the rules?

You'd be very surprised.

How small should slug targets be? Steel.

Posted Today, 01:39 PM

I would really like to see this whole I before E except after C thing go.!

As for target size being 4 MOA, who the heck came up with that???

Good point. I think the Red Necks Tacticals came up the 4 MOA thing. Nobody's answered my question yet.

A zone to 25 yards, C zone to 50 yards, full size classic out to 100, is what Redneck Tactical has recommended for quite a while for slugs.

As for target size AND PRESENTATION, there are quite a few big matches I DON'T attend because of this. I shoot iron sights and it is very frustrating when you can't see the target, or the presentation makes them invisible at different times of the day, or weather.

I was once told by a match director that no one told me to bring iron sights to his match.....HOWEVER...if you are going to offer the division you ought to make sure that your courses of fire are doable by people in that division.....at all times of day and in inclement weather if you are going to require shooters to shoot. If you aren't willing to do that, DON'T offer the division! So yes folks would not shoot a match based on that!

Edited by kurtm

My opinion is worth little, but here are my ideas for 3 gun match appropriate slug targets. Distances are approximate max

E target at 100

18x24 or metric steel at 85

MGM spinner or metric paper at 60

Clay bird (static) at 20

Mr. Weak hand and I are of similar opinions on target size, but his guidelines are fine with me.

As for visible targets, if it can't be seen with the naked eye we have no business shooting at it on the clock. Visible targets can be plenty challenging without resorting to hiding them.

A zone to 25 yards, C zone to 50 yards, full size classic out to 100, is what Redneck Tactical has recommended for quite a while for slugs.

As for target size AND PRESENTATION, there are quite a few big matches I DON'T attend because of this. I shoot iron sights and it is very frustrating when you can't see the target, or the presentation makes them invisible at different times of the day, or weather.

I was once told by a match director that no one told me to bring iron sights to his match.....HOWEVER...if you are going to offer the division you ought to make sure that your courses of fire are doable by people in that division.....at all times of day and in inclement weather if you are going to require shooters to shoot. If you aren't willing to do that, DON'T offer the division! So yes folks would not shoot a match based on that!

Mr. Weak hand and I are of similar opinions on target size, but his guidelines are fine with me.

As for visible targets, if it can't be seen with the naked eye we have no business shooting at it on the clock. Visible targets can be plenty challenging without resorting to hiding them.

YES!!!

I have all but given up on events that do not consider the Iron (1x) competitor.

I have tried to taLK with some MD's and I too have gotten "you picked your division"

Well how about we at least abide by the rules of gun safety..."know your target" !

If the target can not be seen with the naked eye...what in the hell are you shooting at?

I think more people would shoot limited if the targets where presented as described above. Especially with new and better dots coming out more frequently. Heck it might even make the matches more fun for the average tac ops guy.

If you need a pair of good binos to call the hits, the targets are too small to be engaged with iron sights!

One could make the argument that all targets should be full sized Metrics and that when they are up close, they represent targets that are up close and when they are far away, they represent targets that are far away. If every match venue had the facilities to run stages out to 500 yards this would maybe be OK, but we do need smaller targets for essentially two reasons, first is that most ranges can't hold 500 yard shots so we need reduced targets to simulate distance, second is that all wide open full size targets frankly wouldn't be very challenging. 6" plates at 100 yards are a challenging shot be it with Irons, a Dot or a scope. Especially if they need to be engaged offhand after a short run.

This brings us back to the 4MOA target. 4" at 100 yards is not an easy shot! and 16" at 400 yards is at least doable. AND seeable!

Just my additional $0.02 here.

Regarding your question here, I personally am always going to be more interested in shooting than not shooting. I look for every opportunity to shoot Irons division but because I never know what to expect going to a match, I also bring my Tacops rifle, pistol mags, and higher capacity shotgun extension tube. When previewing the courses of fire, if the long range targets are reasonable then I'll shoot Irons... if not, then I might switch to Optics. Division placement for me is going to be close to the same % finish of a Pro so that doesn't concern me but I'm interested in good shooting - and not being able to see the target is not good shooting!!

Regarding your question here, I personally am always going to be more interested in shooting than not shooting. I look for every opportunity to shoot Irons division but because I never know what to expect going to a match, I also bring my Tacops rifle, pistol mags, and higher capacity shotgun extension tube. When previewing the courses of fire, if the long range targets are reasonable then I'll shoot Irons... if not, then I might switch to Optics. Division placement for me is going to be close to the same % finish of a Pro so that doesn't concern me but I'm interested in good shooting - and not being able to see the target is not good shooting!!

I know this is a bit of a thread drift, but I don't think I ever heard of someone bringing guns for 2 different divisions and then deciding after seeing the stages although I have heard of shooters changing division after seeing who they were shooting against. I call it division shopping. Pick a division, practice, shoot it and let the chips fall where they may.

As for listing target sizes in the rules, it's not a bad idea but limits the creativity of the stage designer. Everybody has to shoot the same targets and sometimes the weather or changing light makes that different for individual shooters but targets should be set so everyone can see them.

Doug

I think irons is the most fun because it's the most challenging and so I seek it out, but when a small unpainted steel in the woods is visible to irons in the morning but not in the afternoon because of shade conditions where is the competitive equity in that? I have found my own solution to people who dont care. I like both divisions and practice both divisions regularly. Heck I've even seen people jump divisions at majors because they simply "feel better" in one than another, is that bad?