Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shooting

Highwayman

Been struggling as-is with one-handed strong side, now I'm really trying to push weak side transitions and shooting. So far it's miserable. On the clock my transitions feel like it's being slapped over, which makes me worry about the trigger and slow down. Once it's in-hand, gaining a sight picture seems slower than my right side, then there's simply training the hand and finger. Are there any drills or methods for becoming more ambidextrous gradually?

You can do a search for weak hand shooting to find some helpful posts. There's one under the Skills section titled "Weak Hand Shooting" with a last post of March 26. It has some helpful information. I'd attach a link but not sure how.

My sharing in that thread was that I've benefitted from making a fist with the off hand and tucking it into my opposite chest. Tightens up the muscles in your chest and back which helps you to better stabilize the weak hand with the gun as opposed to the strong hand doing nothing or worse swinging around. Also, going a bit gansta helped me by tilting the gun just a bit inwards because that is how my hand would most naturally position itself out in front of my face rather than twisting my forearm to hold the gun completely upright.

But main thing is probably consistent, straight back trigger pull/press. Dry fire helps that.

Edited by one-gun

• 3 weeks later...

So if your're shooting with your weak hand, left, you should shoot left to right because you will be driving your gun with the bigger pec muscle rather than shooting right to left and using your rear delt and vise versa.

Edited by bigboy69

• 1 month later...

Yesterday's USPSA match in my locale included the "I Hate This Drill" stage which ends with weak-hand-only shooting. I managed to do the best of the single stack shooters in attendance and I credit that to recent weak-hand-only practice, especially lots of dry fire. I no longer cant the gun, I keep it straight. I strive to imitate a truly ambidextrous person, which I am not, taking the mindset that I'll make my left hand into my other strong hand. Not there yet but the effort I put into it so far has showed up in a match.

One thing, don't laugh: when working on your computer or smartphone/tablet use your left hand - also grip and stance were a lot of work for me.

That's a great tip that I'm going to try to incorporate into my daily life!

I don't know much about muscle anatomy but I know there are muscles that need to be developed on the weak side in order to hold the gun steady. Most people are shaky when they first try something like shooting with their off hand. A lot of it must also be a brain thing because my mind feels unsettled when moving the sights through targets, weak hand only, during dry fire. I want it to become more comfortable and think know! more work will get it there.