Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230g LRN with N320

TDA

I'm looking for a starting load for N320 behind a 230g LRN.

The only data I found is 4.9g of N320 with a 230g FMJ-RN, so I'm not too sure where to start with the LRN.

In comparing 230g lead with .230g jacketed in the Lee manual, I see where some powders use a full grain decrease for lead over Jacketed, while another powder shows a .5g increase in powder over jacketed.

It's a bit confusing, as I'm new to all of this!

Thanks!

Drop 10% for lead. I run 4.5gr n320 with a coated 230 gr at 1.23 OAL. Makes 168 PF. YMMV depending on gun, springs etc. The reason different powders show a difference of .5-1 gr is that the burn rate is different.

Where are you located that you can't find a place to setup a chronograph? Even in my gun challenged area, there are places to use a chronograph. Wherever you are, there is probably someone here who can guide you to a place to use a chrono.

I went to Okeechobee Shooting Sports in FL last Sunday to try shooting some steel, but it's a 125 mile round trip from my house. I've only been there twice. I didn't ask about Chrono use, as it's not as convenient as I would like.

I have a membership at a local indoor range where I shoot a couple of times a week, but no Chrono use there.

Well, I definitely missed a bunch then!

All I saw was one little pistol range with targets set out about five yards, the cowboy action "buildings", and a bunch of different areas for shooting clays.

Next time I'm out that way I'll snoop around bit more.

Thanks!

Edit: Keep in mind that my primary concern at the time was food!

Edited by TDA

Be careful, the load you listed has a col of 1.260. Always look for the col.

I have bayou 225gr TC and the bullet profile limited col to 1.230 maximum to feed in my

sig magazine. I found that 4.0gr N320 was fine, 4.2 gr too snappy, 3.9gr ok but ejected slightly forward.

I am using 4.0gr N320 as my load for this bullet.

Since you stated a col of 1.20 I would try less than 4,ogr N320 for a few rounds and adjust from

there.

jpl