Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum Primer Depth for 8.5lb Mainspring

d_striker

Yeah, Federals are a given.

I measured the light struck primers and they were .006"-.011" which I would assume is deep enough even for an 8.5# spring.

Of course, who knows if the first strike seated the primers in a little bit.

I never measured the primer depth. I usually just crush them in pretty good with the 550.

I've also never (yet?) had a light strike with my 8.5# springs, even using Winchester primers. With that said, all I order now are Federals. I'm just glad the Winchesters are still working great. <knocks on wood>

as deep as possible. i used to measure and try and get something i could check. now i just go the crush 'em in as much as they'll go and treat a flush primer as a high primer and redo it or put it in the practice bin.

i also made sure the strut the main spring rides on was polished as well as the sides of my hammer. and change out the main spring every 4 months or so.

as others have said, until you get a light crush. I still get an occasional high primer, I case gauge match ammo and throw the high ones in with practice ammo. Occasionally get a light strike in practice, which almost always goes off on the second attempt. I did have one go for three attempts the other day. Only federal for me. I have been doing this before the CZ with other light triggers.

I use cci primers for my practice ammo and only get 1 or 2 per hundred that take an extra strike. Out of 1000 i've only ever had 1 that just wouldn't light off. My match ammo is all federal and cross my fingers, I've never had one not go off in about 1000 as well. I run a 8.5 spring and have my hammer strut polished and lubed. I always crush my primers into the cases but when switching from cci to federal i learned that they will go off if seated to hard. I've set off two federals while seating and thy were both on crimped military brass.

I use cci primers for my practice ammo and only get 1 or 2 per hundred that take an extra strike. Out of 1000 i've only ever had 1 that just wouldn't light off. My match ammo is all federal and cross my fingers, I've never had one not go off in about 1000 as well. I run a 8.5 spring and have my hammer strut polished and lubed. I always crush my primers into the cases but when switching from cci to federal i learned that they will go off if seated to hard. I've set off two federals while seating and thy were both on crimped military brass.

Do you think the primers were set off more from abrupt force or steady hard pressure?

What press are you reloading on?

650 and it was a steady pressure push when I noticed the primer wouldn't seat all the way

I've changed my primer seating technique and the primers are now all .011"-.022" deep depending on the brass. I'm standing, rather than sitting, while reloading on the 650 now and am using sort of a "two-stage" seating process. I'll gently seat the primer until it bottoms out and then I slowly lean on the handle using my body weight to fully seat.

I cull all NATO brass when I sort but sometimes I'll miss a PMC or Win case with an ambiguous crimp. If the primer doesn't seat on the first gentle stage, I pull it out and put it in the scrap pile. I will admit I'm still nervous about setting off primers using this process.

Had four light strikes tonight at an indoor match.

What's the minimum primer depth when running an 8.5lb main spring?

You are running an extended firing pin correct? If not, you need one.

Yup. I think it was purely a depth issue.

Archived