Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Bill Drill

Onepocket

Please no one take this as a slight against or toward you. What if more of super elite athletes got into the shooting sports. Super high level people such as pro tennis, Olympic. The people that can see the stitches on a fast ball or slow down a tennis serve to see the fuzz on the ball. We are such a small sample of the population that's shooting USPSA. Would a sub one second bill drill just become something you would expect. Just too many average Joe's working hard...

No slight taken, but I still don't think it would happen. As I said on page 1, the very edge of human reaction time is 140 milliseconds. Some Olympic athletes have fast reaction times, but they aren't superhuman.

Elite 100 m sprinters are way above the mean in at least running performance, but their mean reaction times are not much better than the average. For example, in the July 12 2003 Rome Golden League A & B Series 100m sprints, reaction times averaged 153 mS (standard deviation 28 mS) - the minimum was 110 mS, max was 242 mS; there was virtually no correlation between running time and reaction time (r2=0.02). source: http://condellpark.com/kd/reactiontime.htm
And the 100m sprinters probably have "the best" reaction time of any people on the planet, on average.

Super athleticism doesn't really transfer to USPSA style shooting like it does to other sports. The biggest thing the USPSA talent pool suffers from is lack of participation. If there were 5,000,000 active action pistol shooters, then yeah I would expect a much higher skill ceiling in USPSA, but a one second bill drill would still not be common place in any way shape or form. There gets to be a point where it physically isn't possible to improve beyond. You'll never shoot a split faster than the cycling rate of your gun. If you just put your hands through the normal motions of a draw at max speed without a gun, you'll never be able to do it faster than that with a gun. A one second bill drill is barely inside these limitations.

Exactly what I am trying to illustrate. You can't go faster than what is physically possible for a human being.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meet a top level female tennis player a while back and she physically looked like a different species. Asked her about what she saw when a ball was coming toward her. She states she can see how the ball is spinning? You guys are probably right about the max in reaction time. Can you improve your reaction times?

I think the best possible athlete for reaction tie would probably be a boxer with their amazing hand speed. It would be interesting to see what someone like Jones, Pacquiao, or someone of that level could do with a year of training. Reaction time is one thing, pure hand speed is something all together different.

I think the best possible athlete for reaction tie would probably be a boxer with their amazing hand speed. It would be interesting to see what someone like Jones, Pacquiao, or someone of that level could do with a year of training. Reaction time is one thing, pure hand speed is something all together different.

I do remember seeing that Manny Pacquiao has had an annual IPSC match in the Phillipines so he has done some shooting, but it was nothing impressive from my memory.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I do remember seeing that Manny Pacquiao has had an annual IPSC match in the Phillipines so he has done some shooting, but it was nothing impressive from my memory.

I remember seeing that too. I am not talking about overall shooting though. My line of thinking was more like circus tricks like a 1 second BD if he practiced a lot.

I feel like this is a job for the G18. lol. I tried today to just focus on what I can mechanically do, if I dropped a shot I didn't fret. 1.3 is the fastest I can draw and pull the trigger 6 times with little control. 1.5-1.8 was norm for 6 A's from surrender, .7-.9 sec draws. Just fast enough to be dangerous, but no record breaker. I'm in my USPSA infancy, so I've been running a ton of bills and el pres's. They both seem like good drills, but neither alone are gonna make a person all-round stellar from my perspective.

Watch it again.

Ok....I've read most of your posts and I'd like to think you are just a beginner with no real knowledge of the scene, but with that dickish ignorant response now I'm leaning towards you're just a complete troll.

If by chance I'm wrong and you aren't a complete troll, you may want to consider reading about 10 times more than you're posting, because the stuff you are saying is beyond ridiculous. Perhaps you should start by looking up what a bill drill is instead of posting what you think is a bill drill from super tactical hands forward start position. For Christ's sake, I can read the title of the video and know it isn't a bill drill.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

This guy could probably be the fastest.

I think he didn't shoot enough.

Watch it again.

A Bill Drill is defined as:

Wrists above shoulders.

7 yard Metric target.

6 A hits.

Anything other than that (though there has been some discrepancy over whether you can start at hands relaxed at sides in this thread) is not a bill drill.

Watch it again.

Ok....I've read most of your posts and I'd like to think you are just a beginner with no real knowledge of the scene, but with that dickish ignorant response now I'm leaning towards you're just a complete troll.

If by chance I'm wrong and you aren't a complete troll, you may want to consider reading about 10 times more than you're posting, because the stuff you are saying is beyond ridiculous. Perhaps you should start by looking up what a bill drill is instead of posting what you think is a bill drill from super tactical hands forward start position. For Christ's sake, I can read the title of the video and know it isn't a bill drill.

2x3=6

Watch it again.

looks like davidb72 hooked another one. this one is a fighter!!

I really don't get people who troll full time. It's not funny, it's not cool. Move out of your Mom's basement dude and get a life.

once i realized it was trolling I lol'd briefly and then just started mentally filtering out his posts. Life is too short to let other people have a negative effect.

Take a look at his avatar .... The hair on top of his head his Photoshopped in ... Besides, if you actually looked like that would you use that pic as your Avatar ...

Not that I picked up he was a full-time troll ... I, like you, just figured he was another of a growing number of clueless, 9-year 'C' class experts who post on forums ... :)