Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Bill Drill

Onepocket

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a malfunctioning Open Glock recently that decided it wanted to have a "double trouble" trigger (firing on pull and release). Prior to fixing it I decided to do a few Bill Drills. Pretty sure they were like 1.2 sec when I could control it. lol. Realistically, from surrender, I'm talking 1.9ish sec if I'm shooting well to do all A's, more like 2.2 on average days. Usually have .15-.17 splits, but I'm only so-so on the draw.

For what it's worth, I'm nothing special. Don't yet have any real great wins. I'm just a guy that likes to shoot that put a pretty large amount of work into it. My first classification in IDPA was marksman, my first classification in USPSA was C, and I spent over 2 years in B.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I have been shooting the 25 yard bill drill average time around 3.20-3.40's. If you have not done this you should give it a try. All A's is tough and under 3 seconds for me is super tough. Let me know how it goes if you try it. My goal is high 2 seconds consistant with just a few C's.

I just found footage of my only bill drill I clocked or ran on the timer that I could look back at I ran a 2.46 for that match it was a match high as well. One other person broke into the 2s but was down points next closest was 3.22. This is definitely a small pond sample though

I'm sure if I tried it more often and practiced it I could get sub 2s but under one is eye popping to me.

Edited by Nathanb

• 1 month later...

I may be wrong but I thought I saw Jerry on one of the many shows he is on/has been on do it. I think it was like 1.01 but it was right at a second. I'll have to start looking around again but that's the only time I think I saw something like that. There is the Cowboy shooter, Cisko, who did something like that but he did it in under a second for 5 or 6 balloons.

He was also shooting that super fine bird shot and not using the trigger. He used a glove and each finger manipulated the SA hammer. Impressive all the same though!

I think most people with a G on their card could do it from the low ready without too much trouble. Probably a whole bunch of Ms too.

Hmmm, low ready in under a second. So, exactly pointed at the base of the 7 yard target?

For some reason, I find this interesting and will post my times when I get it done.

Out of practice M.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

now we're talking. :) 1.45 is smoking. I can manage 2 shots in under second. haha. was doing some draw and first shot practice with the production gun and got down to .92 draw and 2 shots (80 draw and a 12 split). That's still double action first shot. Not sure i can do much better with the open gun to be honest.

Still I'm at best an 'average' shotter. Guys like scott that can rip 1.45s give me hope that 1 second is not outside the realm of what's possible. :)

1 second would be possible with a 0.5 second draw (start signal to first shot) and 0.10 second splits. Sure, no problem. :surprise:

Under .7 draw I can do but I have never been able to pull less than a .14 split on occasion average is nice slow .18. Lol

I honestly don't think splits hold back stage performance much. I can rip 12 splits pretty happily even with the production shadows or stock 2 I shoot but I think for most time is left behind on transitions. i know when I work on transitions stage performance improves. I don't see any big gain from awesome fast splits except that 1) I feel good and, 2) I get the odd crappy hit....

yeah we figured the 0.5 draw and 5 X 10 splits would do it.

I think it's probably right at the edge of what is possible but I certainly wouldn't say it's impossible. We looked before at some of the guys who shoot steel challenge who can rip bullshit fast surrender draws. and if we go with the modern version of the drill (as shown in the bill wilson video where he's teaching the drill) as being hands by sides I'm sure there's guys who can do 0.5 draws. I certainly know guys who can rip 10 splits and I know some guys who rip the odd 8 split.

So maybe the perfect run is more like a 0.6 draw and 5 X 0.8 splits?

anyone got max michels number? I reckon he could give it a crack.

Unless I change divisions, I'll have to get by with 0.18 as my "typical best" split time and build around that. Whether it's my gun's cycling tempo or my grip or my eyes or all of the above, the 0.18 split is my current outer limit for tracking the sights and staying tight on target.

My start-signal-to-first-A-hit time can be better. I've gotten it under 1 second in one-shot and two-shot 7-yard drills but it hasn't shown up in a full Bill Drill yet. A current live-fire goal is to get a 1.8s Bill Drill and then be able to do that consistently.

I have video'd myself so I know that what feels fast for me actually looks kind of slow. My fastest dry-fire draw is 0.7; I have tried quite hard to beat a 0.6 par time, not happening yet. A tenth of a second can seem like a yawning chasm to cross.

I'm still in my first year of competing so I expect I'll progress past these limitations as I continue to work.

Edited by GunBugBit