Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Bill Drill

Onepocket

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's impossible at all. I don't think it's an on demand thing, but limit of human function? Sure. I've seen 50 draws and I've seen 10 splits (and faster). If the individual pieces can be done, it is entirely possible to put them together.

The fastest I've ever done is 1.26, but I've seen a 1.15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I guess anything is possible. If the shooter is essentially point shooting, getting gun somewhere between out of the holster but not to eye level, and they can grip the gun such that they are basically bump firing then yeah.

Getting a .50 first shot, alot of that is predicting the beep I think.

not that it really matters but my surrender draw times are always faster than my hands at sides draws .... couldn't tell you why but it's always been that way for me ...

I did it in 1.97 during Ben Stoeger's class, once. I normally do 2.4, but I now know I can do a sub 2. I have a goal to be consistent sub 2. Of course I just upgraded guns so it feels like starting over.

One second, highly unlikely.

I guess anything is possible. If the shooter is essentially point shooting, getting gun somewhere between out of the holster but not to eye level, and they can grip the gun such that they are basically bump firing then yeah.

Getting a .50 first shot, alot of that is predicting the beep I think.

I think it's possible. for starters for me bill drill is not done surrender. el prez? yes. bill drill is hands by sides in my book.

you watch some of the so called 'quick draw' artists and trick shooters. they can draw and fire from the hip in under 0.40 of a second. So assuming a 0.40 draw that's 5 0.12 splits (certainly attainable) get right on a second. make one of those splits a 10 instead of a 12 and you've done it.

Can you draw, mount the gun properly (2 handed), get a sight picture and fire 6 aimed shots? probably not. most of us would't get to the first shot in 1 second but this is 7 yards, point shooting is quite possible.

I used to often shoot what's called service match here (made back the in the day as a match police could shoot with service revolvers). using a my semi-auto I could quite happily put 10 or 11 out of 12 shots in the 10 ring at 7 yards "unsighted" (means pistol must be below shoulder high).

Thinking about it I don't believe the 1 sec bill drill is 'impossible'. certainly very difficult and close to the limit but someone could do it.

Forgot ho much fun this drill can be. Ran a couple after our practice league last night. Best was a 1.85 with a 1.05 draw. Only tried it a few times. I think I can get it to the 1.7s or 1.6s if I really push it but I'm not going to get much faster than that I don't think.

I ran a bunch the other day, haven't done one in awhile. I was pushing down in the 1.6 area but always getting one C. Finally got all A's in 1.84 which is pretty decent. So I'll set my par time on this as 1.9. Draw was .95 and .18 splits.

just so everyone is calibrated correctly ... the original Bill Drill was defined as: surrender draw, 7 yds, 6 shots, all As

Everyone is free to modify the drill as they please for whatever training purposes you have, just remember, if you are going to quote times for a Bill Drill as a comparision to what you can do versus others it needs to be an actual Bill Drill .... I can 'on command' do an El Pres at 100% without too much difficulty, the problem is this is a 7 yd El Pres. Now I have most of the elements of the classifier version of El Pres exactly as it is defined but not all of them ... the details do indeed matter ...

Sorry but this is one of the things that always irks me when people compare shooting capabilities ....

Edited by Nimitz

just so everyone is calibrated correctly ... the original Bill Drill was defined as: surrender draw, 7 yds, 6 shots, all As

Everyone is free to modify the drill as they please for whatever training purposes you have, just remember, if you are going to quote times for a Bill Drill as a comparision to what you can do versus others it needs to be an actual Bill Drill .... I can 'on command' do an El Pres at 100% without too much difficulty, the problem is this is a 7 yd El Pres. Now I have most of the elements of the classifier version of El Pres exactly as it is defined but not all of them ... the details do indeed matter ...

Sorry but this is one of the things that always irks me when people compare shooting capabilities ....

Here is "bill" running the drill and everyone drawing from hands at sides...

that's a nice video but the Bill Drill was invented long before 2012 when this video was shot (the guy talking eludes to this very fact) and in its orginial form it was a surrender draw, 7 yds, 6 shots , all As. in fact if you watch the video closely you can even see the instructor put up his hands in the surrender position as he's desctibing the drill to the shooters and no doubt tell them that this time they will be doing it with hands relaxed at the sides ... nothing wrong with that variation but its not the orginial Bill Drill ...

• 4 weeks later...

I have to disagree. I don't know about 'original' but ask 10 shooters what the start condition is for a bill drill and I'd say at least 9 would tell you it's loaded, holstered, facing down range, hands loose by sides...

Btw the 'guy' in that vid is the credited inventor of the bill drill. Bill Wilson. Hence the name 'bill drill'.

Btw Nimitz. The instructor could be describing anything at that point. He could be waving.

Are you telling me he described it surrender and then a dozen shooters (including the instructor himself) all forgot and draw hands by sides? Bill Wilson must forget too as he performs it hands by sides.

I'm fairly certain you'll find the consensus is hands by sides. El prez? Surrender. Bill drill? Hands by sides. :)

Btw the 'guy' in that vid is the credited inventor of the bill drill. Bill Wilson. Hence the name 'bill drill'.

Funny! 2 guys in video were pretty much original G's along with colonel Cooper Edited by cnote

agreed, wilson and hackathorn are both among the group of fathers of the sport of practical shooting... I was just pointing out that Bill Wilson (of wilson combat) is THE Bill in the term "Bill drill" as it seemed that might have escaped nimitz's attention. If anyone knows what a Bill Drill is it should be Bill Wilson. He clearly explains it hands by sides and demonstrates it the same. :)

I'll be shooting with Mr Wilson in a few weeks. I'll ask him and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do and report back. If he has more history on it he wants to share or if he thinks it can be done in under a second, let us know. Thanks