Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Bill Drill

Onepocket

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a one second bill drill at seven yards possible? What the fastest you have witnessed?

No.

The very very VERY edge of human reaction limit is like 140 milliseconds. You add in actually moving your hands, drawing the gun, and shooting takes maybe .3 of second, you are looking at .112 splits to get to a second. And that is with a sub half second draw. Impossible, if I do say so myself.

There is a video on you tube I saw 1.11 I believe.

Couple things wrong with that one:

Bill drill is supposed to start wrists above shoulders, not hands at sides (not even really relaxed at sides, he is prepping his draw pretty hard).

Bill drill only "counts" if it is all alphas, not anywhere on a piece of 18" steel.

Not to discredit that run, he is insanely fast on the trigger. But it isn't a real Bill Drill.

The video, for those that are wondering:

given that guys vid I think if you drew and shot it from the hip it may be possible. some guys can shoot those 12 spils that's .60 leaving him .40 to get the gun out and firing. I'd say it's right on the edge but I'm sure with the right gun/holster and PRACTICE someone out there could do a 1 second bill drill. could he do it from surrender? I'd say possible but again shooting it from the hip SHO.

standard production set up i can do a 1.90 with clean hits some of the time. want them just anywhere on the target and i can do a 1.75. but a good, sure clean run for me is right at 2.00 to be consistent.

I may be wrong but I thought I saw Jerry on one of the many shows he is on/has been on do it. I think it was like 1.01 but it was right at a second. I'll have to start looking around again but that's the only time I think I saw something like that. There is the Cowboy shooter, Cisko, who did something like that but he did it in under a second for 5 or 6 balloons.

just so everyone is clear .... a Bill Drill is defined as: 7yds, surrender draw, 6 shots, all As on a standard USPSA paper target... period.

all the other stuff posted while cool, are not examples of Bill Drills .... and a 1 sec Bill Drill breaks down to a .5 sec surrender draw followed by five .10 sec splits ..... can't wait to see that video posted ...

Edited by Nimitz

just so everyone is clear .... a Bill Drill is defined as: 7yds, surrender draw, 6 shots, all As on a standard USPSA paper target... period.

all the other stuff posted while cool, are not examples of Bill Drills .... and a 1 sec Bill Drill breaks down to a .5 sec surrender draw followed by five .10 sec splits ..... can't wait to see that video posted ...

Where is this definition? I've seen it written either way or where it says either is fine. Here is one example.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2012/6/21/bill-drill/

No mid .5's after a little warm up from relaxed at sides. .5 from surrender is a different animal, especially with a production rig. I will try some next weekend. It's sad, I like pushing times down as much as shooting matches.

After doing some research, it looks like Jerry did 8 rounds in a second exactly but that was from low ready. He did 5 shots from low ready in .57 but Ed McGivern (and I think Munden) did it in around .45 (recording equipment in 1932 sucked). But Ed was using a quick draw cowboy holster and a SA revolver, but still - WOW. Even Steve Anderson who is a very speedy shooter does a Bill Drill regularly in 1.43 from a draw.

Thinking about it now, getting below 1 second from surrender with all Alphas seems impossible. If you figure a lightning fast .5 draw and .1 splits, that is still 1.10 . You would have to get the splits down to .09, which is just about impossible and a draw around .46, which is also just about impossible. I could see it being very close from hands relaxed, like the guy in the video above, but I doubt below a second within the confines of USPSA equipment and rules.

agreed accept for your math ..... .5 sec draw plus 5 .10 sec splits is 1.0 secs .... remember draw time is defined as the time to make the first shot from the holster .... not how long is takes to just get the gun out of the holster ....

I repeat what I said, when this thread was first started: No.

Show me a person that has a .44 surrender draw to a 7 yard alpha, and can shoot .11 alpha splits (not juet ripping rounds into the berm) or faster on demand, and I might start to think it's possible. Until then, no.

agreed accept for your math ..... .5 sec draw plus 5 .10 sec splits is 1.0 secs .... remember draw time is defined as the time to make the first shot from the holster .... not how long is takes to just get the gun out of the holster ....

Didn't even you say that a Bill Drill is 6 shots? 6 x .1 = .6 + .5 = 1.10.