Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC - 90 Degrees Rules

Orbit

Friends,

I am shooting IPSC for a year but I would like to really understand the 90 degrees rules. The match that I shoot before were designed not to break the 90 degrees rule. I would like to know this by heart. If you can give me illustrations, reference points and examples that would be great. Sometimes, I am confuse about the reference point; is it the bern or the stage that I am shooting at (remember some stages are not perpendicular to the center of the berm due to space availability)?

I posted this topic, because last Friday May 29, I shoot in IPSC match. On stage 2, the RO told me that I almost break the 90. I watch my video but I can't see it

Please help friends.

Number one, assume that the back berm is straight.

Then draw a line parallel to back berm where the shooting is standing.

If you point your firearm up range of this line then you have broken the IPSC 90 degree line

Is the target is on a side berm then draw a line 90 degrees from the side berm to the leading edge of target. If you step past this line and point your firearm up range of the line you have broken the 90

Number one, assume that the back berm is straight.

Then draw a line parallel to back berm where the shooting is standing.

If you point your firearm up range of this line then you have broken the IPSC 90 degree line

Is the target is on a side berm then draw a line 90 degrees from the side berm to the leading edge of target. If you step past this line and point your firearm up range of the line you have broken the 90

Hi,

Thank you for the fast response. Where can we get a lay out illustration of this rule? English is my second language and I am a bit lost in the second paragraph.

I am hoping for your patience.

You'll also wanted to confirm it with the RO that is running you. Not all bays are exactly squared off so on some bays, you just may want to confirm with the RO before the buzzer where the line/180 is at. I have shot in bays that were almost round with a small opening so the 180 would "float" with the stage design. Just ask if you are not sure, the RO is there to help also.

It would appear to be basically the same as the 180 rule, they have just broken it out to left and right.

The rule books (both IPSC and USPSA) use 90 (from the median intercept) instead of 180. I know we all talk about 180 but it's all the same.

yes, you need to ask the RO "where is the 90 degree reference point for this stage"?

some stages are simple and it's the back berm. As you pointed out in other stages it's not so clear, those times you need to ask the RO what the reference point is.

So the best advice is if you are unsure, ask the RO.