Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading from SDB to 650 - worth it?

I can load 100 rounds on my SD's in 10 min, can load 100 on one of my 650's in 4 min.

Is saving 6 minutes worth $1,000?

Not if it only saved me 6 min out of my life, then again I have loaded a hell of a lot more than 100 rounds in my life.

That's 5 hours per sleeve of primers for example. Not to mention the 650 is not only faster but also less work.

• 1 month later...

Called and emailed. Won't be posting here if I got an answer from him directly. BUT, after carefully reading the order confirmation email again, it has a link to a page saying Dillon orders delivery is 4-8 days. I think I will give it a couple more days.

Does anyone know the delivery time frame from Brian's store/Dillon? I ordered XL650 a week ago and nothing so far. Have not got a tracking number either. Any ideas?

Dillon presses are delivered Fed Ex Ground, they are slightly squirrelly. Might get it in the next day or two, or even tonight. Mine was delivered at after 7 pm driver had been buy earlier like 10 AM no one at home.

Does anyone know the delivery time frame from Brian's store/Dillon? I ordered XL650 a week ago and nothing so far. Have not got a tracking number either. Any ideas?

If I remember correctly it was only 3 - 4 days when i ordered.

I went

From nothing and no experience to a 650. Sure glad I did. There's no thinking did I get the right thing. I reload 223, 308, 30-30, 380, 9mm, 40 cal, 45 ACP. I went all out, have sepert tool heads and powder hoppers for each. Really cuts time to change calibers. I figured I was doing this once and did it right. A year ago when I did this I was on the phone with a Dillon rep who took about 1/2 hour and helped me get everything and every accessory I needed or would ever want. Cost me around 3k but worth every penny.

Edited by Mikelindsey

Finished setting it up over the weekend. I had both case feeder and bullet feeder (from Mr. Bullet Feeder). It took me about 6 hours in total to get everything running correctly, though MBF occasionally would feed one bullet upside down.

Today I spent another 2 hours trying to solve the problem with MBF. Finally adjusted it to the perfect positions and loaded my first 300 rounds. 300 rounds took me only a little bit over 10 min, not counting the time I loaded the primer tubes. This combo runs extremely smooth and efficiently. I highly recommend anyone considering upgrading SDB to try this.

I have two SDB’s one set for .38Super Comp and one set for .40 Limited. I usually tear one down and convert to 9mm or .45 once every 2 years and load a large pile of ammo for those 2 calibers.

I have been shooting a bit more 9mm ( steel only match and 3gun) in the past several years and have been supplementing the reloading with bulk new ammo buys due to the down time related to converting a loader over. I am torn between:

· Adding a 3 rd SDB for 9MM ($385)

· Adding a 650 for . 38Super Comp opining up a SDB for 9mm ($970)

I have two SDB’s one set for .38Super Comp and one set for .40 Limited. I usually tear one down and convert to 9mm or .45 once every 2 years and load a large pile of ammo for those 2 calibers.

I have been shooting a bit more 9mm ( steel only match and 3gun) in the past several years and have been supplementing the reloading with bulk new ammo buys due to the down time related to converting a loader over. I am torn between:

· Adding a 3 rd SDB for 9MM ($385)

· Adding a 650 for . 38Super Comp opining up a SDB for 9mm ($970)

I think it's all about volume. If you shoot more than 1500 rounds a month, you should seriously consider 650. SDB is a great machine that produces quality ammo, but it is just too much work and time if you are making 2000 or more rounds a month, unless you don't work full time jobs. I got by fine with SDB for about 8 months until I have to shoot 600 rounds week. Then it became a dreadful chore... 650 on the other hand is so much faster and less work (case and bullet feeder are must in my opinion) for large quantity of ammo.