Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any glockers also shoot Single Stack?

obsessiveshooter

Anyone shoot both? I just recently got bit with the 1911 bug and I feel like the stage planning and reloads of single stack would make me a better shooter.

But, it seems like the different grip angle would make it difficult to go back and forth between Limited with my Glock and single stack with a 1911. Anyone have experience with this?

Ironically I just came off a stint shooting my glock to force me to exercise better trigger control and am now back to my 1911. If you have your glock trigger guard undercut then the grip will be closer to a 1911 with an arched blackstrap. I also had my grip re shaped by TTI and it feels very similar except the mag release is in a noticeably different position. I intend to use the Glock for multi gun and don't foresee too many issues.

I have both and normally shoot a glock in L-10. I shot SS while my glock was out for grip reduction and undercut. Going back and forth between grip angles was not issue between the stock glock, 1911 and reduced grip glock.

Stage planning between L-10 and SS with 8rd mags was totally different. I don't think it helped me. The extra planning for reloads with SS took away from the time I could have been looking at ways to game a stage or take time off. There are so many 8rd arrays that are forgiving for a 10+1 gun but when you have 8+1 round then one mistake, miss on steel or makeup shot makes the train derail really fast and the whole stage goes to crap.

I shoot a 1911 in IDPA and a G34 on steel. I initially struggled wit the Glock, as I had been a lifetime 1911 shooter. I shot the Glock exclusively (steel and IDPA) for a year, and now I can shoot both platforms without feeling that I need to make any special allowances for one or the other, with the exception of stage planning. Bottom line for me was that it took some familiarization with the platform I hadn't used before.

I was thinking of getting a 9mm 1911 and shooting minor. The local matches here would seem to favor minor in SS (the advantages of 10 rounds vs 8), and I have a gallon of 9mm brass I've picked up and nothing to load it for. Not too many people here shoot SS, so if I shot the 9mm I could compare scores with the production shooters. Plus, it might be a soft enough shooter that my wife might enjoy it.

I was thinking of getting a 9mm 1911 and shooting minor. The local matches here would seem to favor minor in SS (the advantages of 10 rounds vs 8), and I have a gallon of 9mm brass I've picked up and nothing to load it for. Not too many people here shoot SS, so if I shot the 9mm I could compare scores with the production shooters. Plus, it might be a soft enough shooter that my wife might enjoy it.

If I were to start fresh, I'd strongly consider going this route. If I end up developing my skill level to the point that I'm gathering virtually all A hits so that the major/minor points become irrelevant, then I'll invest in a new gun and mags. I have a ways to go before I reach that point, though!

Side topic: No, the 43 wouldn't be legal, as the requirements for Single-Stack in USPSA (and "Classic" in IPSC) call for the gun to be "Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal."

Original topic: I switch between guns a lot (Glocks, CZ/Tanfoglios, XDms, and 1911/2011s). The biggest secret that I've found is the Arched Mainspring Housing on the 1911s. If I switch to a 1911/2011 too quickly after shooting one of the others, I will come out of the holster and onto the target "nose low". The Arched Housing forces the front sight up a bit. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have very large hands.

Before I started with the others, I was a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy and ran a Flat on everything. Once I started switching back-and-forth, I "logic'ed it out" and went to an Arched.

Original topic: I switch between guns a lot (Glocks, CZ/Tanfoglios, XDms, and 1911/2011s). The biggest secret that I've found is the Arched Mainspring Housing on the 1911s. If I switch to a 1911/2011 too quickly after shooting one of the others, I will come out of the holster and onto the target "nose low". The Arched Housing forces the front sight up a bit. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have very large hands.

Before I started with the others, I was a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy and ran a Flat on everything. Once I started switching back-and-forth, I "logic'ed it out" and went to an Arched.

This gets a huge +1 from me. I didn't especially care for the feel of my 1911 until I got an arched mainspring, and then I fell in love and never turned back. For years after that, the G17 no longer felt good in my hand, and I stopped shooting it. I then took my G17 to Taran Tactical Innovations and specifically asked him to make it feel as close to a 1911 with an arched mainspring as he could get it. My G17 feels great in my hand now, and I spent close to a year and a half shooting the modified G17 exclusively while I did some upgrades on my 1911 and trained my trigger control via the Glock long-pull trigger. To be honest, I don't know for sure if TTI did anything special to my grip other than their usual RTS stippling job, but now when I lay my Glock on top of my 1911, they are shockingly close to each other to the point that I have no concerns about switching back and forth between them. As I mentioned before, the key is undercutting the trigger guard on the Glock in conjunction with the arched mainspring on the 1911. Once the undercutting on the trigger guard was done (in conjunction with TTI's stippling), it made all the other angles fall into place.

I shoot both Glocks and Single Stack. Stage planning is the same for me since I shoot Production and Single Stack minor so both 10 round mags. Although I'm starting to shoot more Limited with Glocks now. I have no problems switching back and forth as far as grip angle. I don't think a 1911 with a mag well is any harder to reload than a Glock without a mag well. I think my reloads are actually a bit faster with the 1911.

Ironically I just came off a stint shooting my glock to force me to exercise better trigger control and am now back to my 1911. If you have your glock trigger guard undercut then the grip will be closer to a 1911 with an arched blackstrap. I also had my grip re shaped by TTI and it feels very similar except the mag release is in a noticeably different position. I intend to use the Glock for multi gun and don't foresee too many issues.

I tried that late last year and it ruined me. I was sucking with both platforms.

It took me a few matches with my CZ's to get back in the groove of shooting 1911's.

It did make me realize how much good ergos makes a difference.

I have been playing with a Canik TP9 SA for a little bit and the transition back and forth is almost seamless with my 1911's, CZ75'S, and CZ75 clones.

I guess the Glocks will be mothballed till the off season.

Edited by himurax13

I shoot both. I run a Gen 3 Grip Force adapter on a Gen 4 G35. Between the adapter and my own grip modifications, the two guns feel and point very similarly for me. The biggest thing for me is the difference in the triggers.

+3 on the arched mainspring housing. I mainly shoot single stack and always had issues shooting Glocks a little high and never felt comfortable with the grip. After switching to an arched mainspring housing on the SS, my Glock 41 feels great in my hand and I can shoot it more naturally now and be on target without thinking about aiming below the target.

I shoot at least 1k rounds a month through my work sig and shoot the glock for matches, at first it was weird going between the two but after a few days i dont really even notice any more. I am currently planning on a 2011 build too, haha

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone shoot both? I just recently got bit with the 1911 bug and I feel like the stage planning and reloads of single stack would make me a better shooter.

But, it seems like the different grip angle would make it difficult to go back and forth between Limited with my Glock and single stack with a 1911. Anyone have experience with this?

I just won CCP division (and 5th overall) at Beast of the East IDPA with a Glock 26 and 48 hours later won a big local USPSA match in Limited division with a Cheely 5.4 SDC. It's not that weird switching from 2011 to Glock but the other way around I had trigger freeze on my first stage before I adjusted.

2015 Beast of the East - CCP division: https://youtu.be/Um2OMv-c0YQ

https://youtu.be/DmxpVepuIJY

Not a trigger pull or grip problem here, but a "feel" issue. The 1911 feels different, more mechanical (if that makes any sense). The Glock (a G34 if that makes any difference) feels smoother, akin to a sewing machine motor, while the 1911s (a severely modified 9mm Springfield Loaded Target, .40 S&W home--made Kimber/STI upper and Les Bear Hardball .45 if that makes a difference) feels like a piece of reciprocating machinery, sort of like the difference between a centrifugal pump and a reciprocating pump (sorry, can't think of a better analogy for you non-mechanic types out there).

All of the 1911s are smooth running guns, so it's not that they're rough or not well made. It took me a bunch of matches to get to the point where I was comfortable with the 1911, and I started out shooting 1911 type guns.

When I first started shooting a Glock after 15 years of shooting 1911's it was tough getting it to point right and learn the trigger. However, now that I have been shooting both for over a decade, I can transition between the two without much thought. The biggest thing I have to re-train are my mag changes when going to Glock. I like the more vertical grip of the 1911 for mag changes.