Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help for first loads

Fredlegentil

Hi Everyone,

I recently started shooting and decided to start reloading right away. I currently shoot a stock glock 34 gen 4.

After reading thousands of posts here and all over the internet I decided to try a few different bullets for my first loads. I got Bayou 124 RN and 147 FP as well as Xtreme 124 RN and 147 RN. I wanted to try both coated and plated bullets as well as 124 vs 147. I currently shoot exclusively Factory 115 RN.

I got Federal 100 SPP as well as Titegroup (pretty much all I could find at my LGS), can't complain :)

Now I have more than a few doubts in regards to the load data because I find conflicting information between my reloading books and the forums. Since this is my first time I do not want to blow myself up.

I do not have a chrono yet and I will not participate in any match that requires to be chronographed. I'm just looking to make around minor PF for now and finetune later when the time comes.

Based on the information I collected here is what I plan on doing.

Brass: mixed range brass

Primers: Federal 100

OAL: I need to load a few dummies with each bullet and do a plunk test but I plan on loading at 1.14 if possible. This is the OAL of my factory ammo and have no problem.

For Xtremes I plan on starting with the low end of Jacketed load data.

124 RN: 3.8gr of Titegroup

147 RN: 3.2gr of Titegroup

For the Bayous I plan on starting with Cast load data

124 RN: 3.4gr of Titegroup

147 RN: 2.5gr of Titegroup

From what I gathered the plated loads for 124 and 147 as well as the 124 Bayou should be ok (at least safe for a starting point) but I have conflicting results for the Bayou 147 with loads around 3 / 3.2 gr when Lyman indicates a max load of 2.8...

Could you guys please assist me in confirming that I'm in the right direction?

Thanks for your help!

Plated bullets and coated lead usually use very similar load data for powder charges. I use a lot of titegroup and in my XDM 5.25, 3.0gr of titegroup under most any 147gr coated bullet gets me about a 134PF, 3.6gr gets me about the same power factor with a coated 124gr bullet. I have loaded up to 3.4gr titegroup under a 147gr coated lead bullet and got around 140ish PF(dont have that load data handy) so that Lyman info sounds outdated or just wrong. I dont think the 2.5gr starting load will cycle a stock Glock and I would start higher than that but thats just me.

OAL: I need to load a few dummies with each bullet and do a plunk test but I plan on loading at 1.14 if possible. This is the OAL of my factory ammo and have no problem.

The purpose of The Plunk Test is to determine the longest OAL you can use

in Your Gun & Mags with a particular bullet.

Unless your factory ammo is using the same bullet, you may need a different

OAL.

As you mentioned, try it, and see if 1.14 runs thru your gun - if not, shorten

it up a bit. :cheers:

Welcome to reloading and BE Forum.