Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anybody tried Caldwell chrono?

balmo

I am looking around for my first chrono and saw Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph. Price is very good and I do like that it has a smartphone interface.

I am worried though about its reliability since it's fairly new (?). I was originally eyeing Competition Electronics Pro Chrono. Thanks

I have one. It is very easy to use. Definitely, use the app. It works and stores your data for later. You can also email it to yourself to get it to another computer. It's a little hard to configure at first (not intuitive software), so play with the options before you show up on the range. I do all my shooting indoors, so getting the right light is difficult. I currently use 4 small cheap portable LED lights, but really, I need to improve on that. I have to shoot pretty close to the unit to get it to read right now. If you are using it indoors, get the light set for it,

Its a good unit however it never would link up with my S5 so I would have to drag my ipad to the range with me. I also had a lot of issues with the unit picking up error after error ager error that would turn my string into 60 shots when I only shot 8 times. It was very annoying so no I just write the number down when I shoot. Plus my wife broke the ipad so now I have no interface.

I got a complete kit, it is my first chrono so no way to compare to other units. Unit is simple to use , down load free ap from app store and hooked up to my samsung galaxy note 4. Easy to use and store data. Tripod is not very good part of the head broke second time I used it, had to put some screws in it.

I've had good experience with mine, outdoor use only. Seems to generate repeatable results that are generally in line with chrono numbers I get at majors. I just use a camera tripod I had laying around. Be sure to pay attention when the app asks for access to the mic port on your smartphone, that's how it communicates and sometimes you have to permit that.

I like it (largely due to the smartphone app and managing the data), but mentioned above was a comment on durability, my first example ended up having a flakey aux port. To Caldwell's (Battenfeld) credit, they did send me a replacement unit (they were out of stock at the time but sent me their test unit).

I like mine very much. If I were to do it again I would have bought the one with the light kit right away instead of buying it after I did my initial testing indoors and not picking up a single reading because the lighting sucked.

I am happy with mine. For $70 it seems to be quite a deal. I bought a $10 tripod from Walmart. Did have a lot of errors until I started putting the unit in the shade And it virtually eliminated the error problem.

Its a good unit however it never would link up with my S5 so I would have to drag my ipad to the range with me. I also had a lot of issues with the unit picking up error after error ager error that would turn my string into 60 shots when I only shot 8 times. It was very annoying so no I just write the number down when I shoot. Plus my wife broke the ipad so now I have no interface.

Contact Caldwell - they had a batch of chronos that had overly sensitive sensors, with the above behavior ('ghost shots' or errors) in bright light.

They replaced mine, no questions asked, no sending of the defective unit.

Note you can 'fix' the problem chronos to a point, just tape a target over the sun screens so both sensor port areas are shaded by the target.

I've had one since not long after they came out, along with my ProChrono. That unit functioned w/out issue until a friend shot it (and the later replacement of it had the 'sensor issue' until replaced by Caldwell). I shot numerous strings back to back with my ProChrono and they were reading nearly identical, so the ProChrono has been more or less gathering dust since, mainly due to not having (or no building) a remote kit, and shooting frequently on semi-busy ranges (the Caldwell phone app allows changing strings easily from the phone).

The app has improved, a lot - it now allows a picture to be taken for each group, if desired, and definitely has improved from the initial version.

The 'deluxe' kit is OK - my only real gripe with it is the supplied tripod, is, well - crappy as well as short, if you're of normal height and intend to chrono pistol rounds standing free-style.

Besides the batch that went out w/sensor issues, it's been solid, and I'm happy with the purchase, as well as their CS in handling the faulty sensor unit's replacement.

Buddy of mine came by the other day to chronograph some rounds and had one. I heard him blasting away so I walked out there to see what he was doing and had already finished with the data on his phone with averages and all.

Looked like a winner to me.

Thanks for the info RTP. My crono is about 6 months old but ill give them a call and see what they say.

That's exactly in the timeline of the problem batch of sensors; definitely call them, and they can look up your unit via SN or lot #, as well as where/when it was purchased.

Adding, in case anyone else has had this issue...from their FAQ page, here: http://www.btibrands.com/product/ballistic-precision-chronograph/

Question: My Chronograph is displaying ERR2 and/or ERR3 errors after the chronograph has been turned on and in the standby mode, how can i fix this?

Answer: Caldwell Shooting Supplies has identified an issue with electronic components on a small group of Ballistic Precision Chronographs that were shipped to our dealers and distributors in late 2014 and January of 2015. The defective chronograph inventory has been identified, isolated and repaired. If your Chronograph is displaying an Error2 and/or an Error 3 code in normal outdoor light conditions your Chronograph could be affected. Please contact Caldwell’s Customer Service Department directly for repair or replacement at sales@btibrands.com or 1-877-509-9160. Caldwell remains dedicated to supplying high quality accessories; we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Ive had one for a few months and was having issues.

Caldwell (btibrands) is doing a good job of fixing their mistake. Just spoke to someone and will be getting a new one shipped out to me soon.