Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want a new Pump, have Supernova questions

Ok, I have read several recent threads about the "best" pump shotgun, and so far the Benelli Supernova seems to have more votes than all of the rest combined. So, I begin my quest. I need to decide a few things specific to this purchase, so I would like some advice and pros & cons, if y'all don't mind. Basically I would like to pick your brains about what works and what does not rather than try to reinvent the wheel on my own. This will be a heavy metal gun, but will probably see use in tac-optics also so I can get used to the manual of arms..

First off, I need to decide barrel length, and how long of a tube to run. Right now I am running a 20" 590 and it is 8+1 with federal bulk pack. My choices from Benelli seem to be 24", 26", & 28". My first impulse is to go with the shortest, the 24", because I like a compact gun. Is there any reason I might want a 26" ( or god forbid the 28")? I prefer the vent rib to the tactical's rifle sights. I have run rifle sights on a couple of shotguns have decided I REALLY dislike them for anything but slug shots, and even then, they are less than ideal given a smooth barrel and sage induced adrenaline wiggle. A vent rib, with a big, bright fiber optic is the hot ticket I think...

Second, I think I would like to run a Nordic tube that is longer than the barrel by around 2 inches, (but not more than 3) so that even with extended choke tubes, the mag tube hits the bottom of the barrel first. Given the 24" (or, possibly the 26") what tube do I want, and how many round capacity should that net me, in the gun? As a followup, would anyone recommend a Nordic clamp or, more importantly, is there any reason I WOULDNT want to run a clamp?

This seems like a simple question, but when I wanted a longer tube for my 930SPX, I ordered a +3, since it comes from the factory with a +2 only to receive a tube that was only 3/4" longer than what I had. So I returned it and purchased a +4. The +4 didn't net me an extra round of capacity either, because by the time that I cut enough coils off that the extra round would fit, the last shell in the tube wouldn't load. I ended up with a +5 tube just to add 1 round to a 930 SPX that would reliably load and shoot. What I learned its that you cannot assume and it is always better to ask.

Next, I think I want the ComforTech stock, mostly because I don't want a pistol grip. What I don't know is if I also want to (or can) use the optional gel pads with it. I am pretty attached to my limbsaver pads on the rest of my Shotguns, are the factory pads comparable, and is the combination good? Can the LOP be shortened at all with this stock?

Next, is a shorter or cut down forend possible or is that a bad idea for any reason? I am not sure I like the fact that it covers the loading port, although that is a purely cosmetic complaint. I run a short Hogue forend on my 590, so the supernova with it's 24" long forend looks odd.. At very least, does the Benelli plastic stipple well?

Last, are there any must-have, do-not-shoot-without-it modifications I will want? Things like a welded lifter on a 930SPX or a metal safety on any Mossberg... Have I forgotten anything?

24", yes use a clamp, especially if you are less than gentle throwing it into dump barrels or boxes, yes the LOP can be shortened, yes the fore end can be shortened.

Now im quite sure others will completely disagree with me, and I can't blame them I only have 8+ years on the platform, so im a relative newby to this sort of stuff.

Trapr

There are a lot of things that can be done to the Nova or SuperNova, but not a lot of things that need to be done to it. Yes, it is the best pump gun on the market for our game. I still prefer the trim lines and smoother action of a well broken in 870, but I quit using the 870 years ago for gun games.

Go with the 24", put a bigger fiber optic bead on it, smooth out the edges on the plastic loading port some, and start shooting. Get some rounds through it before you decide it needs any mods. I've won Manual division at quite a few shotgun matches with my Nova and haven't done much more to it than this. (It does wear an XS rear sight and I had Rose Action Sports modify it to reduce short strokes, as well as wears a Benelli short gel pad.) I broke a couple Limbsaver pads before Pat Kelley hooked me up with the factory pad.

I run a +6 tube (I think) for total of 11+1 capacity. I also use a Nordic clamp, mostly because I need the sling mount for some matches.

Edited by Bryan 45

Also consider polishing the action arms and bearing surfaces on the bolt, removing the mag cut-off assembly, relieve/taper the insides of the forearm to clear the front of the receiver and buy a case of AA 980 fps loads and laugh at how incredibly smooth the gun functions and soft it shoots.

The guys above have given good info. I will add that you do NOT need to weld up the lifter. On the Nova/Super Nova guns when loading the tube the lifter remains up until the action is cycled (and in doing so the lifter does not spring back down to hang your thumb)

In addition to the above mentioned mods, I polish the back of the bolt carrier and the carrier stop to reduce the likelihood of that pump lock, after fireing the gun. Also on the back of the SuperNova trigger is a square shaped over travel stop. The corners of that square shape need to be rounded. Over time the squared edge can beat a small indentation into the trigger housing. Eventually the indentation can get large enough to catch the trigger and pin it back. There is a youtube vid on the subject. I had to do the fix on mine after about 10k rounds. Small details and most don't cost you anything. The SuperNova isn't perfect, but it's still the best thing going. Also... I just got back from HeMan Nats, where I worked the big shotgun stage. 2/3 of the pump guns were 870's and the rest were SuperNovas. All of he Novas ran without issue. Most of the 870's had problems and grumbling owners.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge, its a 26" with the comfortech stock, but the price was right... $299 out the door for a pawn shop supernova... (sounds like a song) I pick it up Monday, & I might have been early enough to be able to practice with it and maybe even bring it up to Nordic, depending on whether or not my tube arrives in time. Since it's a pawn shop gun it only comes with the choke thats in it which I believe is a mod (flush, 3 tick marks) what style tubes does it take?

Best pump gun I have. I found that port needed no mods as that 3.5 port is HUGE and I can almost feed my whole thumb in there! LOL. I really love to just shoot this gun. Pics when you get your tube, wish I could recall which one came with my gun, it holds 10+1. Has the clamp on it also. Have fun!

Ok, I have another question that is very specific. Could anyone that owns both a gun that takes accuchokes/winchokes and a supernova hold the chokes up next to each other ( or better yet a micrometer) and render a guess how involved it would be to re-cut the benelli barrel to fit accuchokes? I know it could be done if I had the length of the choke cut off and started over in plain barrel - which wouldn't be a tragedy since I wanted the 24 instead of the 26 anyway. I know I would be making a mutt, but since I rarely ever sell guns, and never sell ones that I have gunsmithed on, I am the only one that would know. Plus, I already have one or two of almost every choke made for that system, and only having to grab one choke tube box no matter what gun I was shooting would be convenient. I also wouldn't object to NOT having to go out and re-purchase even a few chokes if I didn't have to...

Rose Action Sports just did a beautiful job of installing choke tubes in my Winchester 1300 Defender barrel. Quick too. Work was paid for by a certificate that was donated to a match.......That says a bunch right there!

Oh yeah, I have had work done by RAS, but what I was getting at is whether or not the Benelli barrel can be re-cut to fit the accu/win chokes. I know there is enough variation that not everything is compatible with everything...

Also Can I use the factory mercury recoil reducer in the comfortech stock or are they mutually exclusive?

Barry.

The flush style Win/Accu/Invector choke tube is 1.5” long. The Benelli/Beretta Mobil choke tube is about 2” long. To clean up the original choke tube area, removing the chrome lining and making sure to get proper thread engagement on the Accu tube you'll need to cut off 2” or more of the barrel length. Also the OD of the barrel at the spot its to be cut off and 1.5” behind that spot must be .845” or larger to know the barrel wall are thick enough for safe installation of the Accu tube.

Ok, so looking at the barrel, subtracting 2" puts me in the middle of an open spot on the rib, so I would need to go back farther... Well, this is why I ask experts their opinion before I leap... maybe it will be easier to just carry 2 sets of chokes... anyone have some spare mobil chokes laying around... LOL

Ok, I have another question that is very specific. Could anyone that owns both a gun that takes accuchokes/winchokes and a supernova hold the chokes up next to each other ( or better yet a micrometer) and render a guess how involved it would be to re-cut the benelli barrel to fit accuchokes? I know it could be done if I had the length of the choke cut off and started over in plain barrel - which wouldn't be a tragedy since I wanted the 24 instead of the 26 anyway. I know I would be making a mutt, but since I rarely ever sell guns, and never sell ones that I have gunsmithed on, I am the only one that would know. Plus, I already have one or two of almost every choke made for that system, and only having to grab one choke tube box no matter what gun I was shooting would be convenient. I also wouldn't object to NOT having to go out and re-purchase even a few chokes if I didn't have to...

For what its worth, I use the Standard Crio Plus chokes from my M2 (flush on the M2), as they become extended chokes for the SN. 1 set of chokes for both guns, providing you don't need to use both at the same time! :ph34r:

Keith