Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eric Grauffel Tanfoglio Light Hammer Spring in a Stock II

Gdub

I had an extra EG Extreme Light Hammer spring so I cut a coil off of it and through it back in a Stock II that is loaded with all the go fast parts including the new Titan Hammer. I couldn't get the Henning XL firing pin to work so I left the factory one in it. Gun feels great and it pops Federal primers seated on a 1050 pretty deep. It does feel better than running the full length EG Light Hammer spring. DA is 7 1/4# and SA is 2 1/2#.

Any one else try this or am I asking for trouble?

Have you tried both the gen 3 and gen4 Henning firing pins? The FP block may need to be fitted to the Henning firing pins.

I tried the cutting a coil off the EG light hammer spring and 2 coils off the EG light FP spring simply to test out. It's a fine balancing act between reliability and chasing the lightest trigger. I'm running the Henning Gen4 FP in both my Stock III's and have a delta hammer on one and a Titan on the other. Using Fed primers I have yet to have a light strike in roughly 600-800ish rounds total since cutting the hammer spring. I only tried to experiment plus being the Gen4 firing pin was a tad longer and 25% lighter I assumed it could somewhat counterbalance the cut coils. If it works with the factory FP then great but personally I would have to run an extended firing pin to feel safe. My little test is that once I've fired the gun if the hammer ends up completely flush with the retainer plate (not being able to push hammer forward any) then it's good to go for me. I actually cut one coil off one end of an EG light hammer spring and one off the other end for 2 coils total and it feels great but only about 100 rounds thru the gun with that spring and zero light strikes yet and want to go least 1000 without any to say it's reliable. Hope this helps

Have you tried both the gen 3 and gen4 Henning firing pins? The FP block may need to be fitted to the Henning firing pins.

I tried the cutting a coil off the EG light hammer spring and 2 coils off the EG light FP spring simply to test out. It's a fine balancing act between reliability and chasing the lightest trigger. I'm running the Henning Gen4 FP in both my Stock III's and have a delta hammer on one and a Titan on the other. Using Fed primers I have yet to have a light strike in roughly 600-800ish rounds total since cutting the hammer spring. I only tried to experiment plus being the Gen4 firing pin was a tad longer and 25% lighter I assumed it could somewhat counterbalance the cut coils. If it works with the factory FP then great but personally I would have to run an extended firing pin to feel safe. My little test is that once I've fired the gun if the hammer ends up completely flush with the retainer plate (not being able to push hammer forward any) then it's good to go for me. I actually cut one coil off one end of an EG light hammer spring and one off the other end for 2 coils total and it feels great but only about 100 rounds thru the gun with that spring and zero light strikes yet and want to go least 1000 without any to say it's reliable. Hope this helps

To tell you the trueth I don't know what gen the firing pin is. I know it's not the latest one.

I actually cut one coil off one end of an EG light hammer spring and one off the other end for 2 coils total and it feels great but only about 100 rounds thru the gun with that spring and zero light strikes yet and want to go least 1000 without any to say it's reliable. Hope this helps

That's interesting, I was thinking of doing the same thing. You are basically cutting two inactive coils off the spring by doing that, so you don't effect the spring rate, you just make the over all length a little shorter to start with. (less pre-load)

I have do doubt that's working for you GDUB. I personally wouldn't trust that in a match environment. You may be popping primers now but I don't see that hammer spring holding up long term. As it is now I only trust the EG Light Hammer spring because I have the titan installed. Rumor has it EG swaps his Hammer and FP springs out regularly. By regularly....almost every match.

Personally I don't want to be pigeon holed into just Federal Primers too.

Edited by praetorian97