Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heat insulation

YVK

I shot my first 3G match yesterday and expectedly had a blast. I did have a number of tech issues, and one of them was getting burned (honest first degree skin burn) when reloading the shotgun. Can anyone share how to insulate the top of a receiver/chamber area on a Versamax?

Cheryl and Rod Current had a neat trick back in the day...... 1/2" wide by 3/16" high auto body edge trim.....I had some that was made by 3M, pretty stiff, adhesive was only on one side. Stuck on the barrel VERY well on either side of the rib. Never burnt my hand after that and never had to wear a glove either.

Tim

If you are loading strong hand (as I do), teach yourself to bridge over the barrel, using your weak-hand's finger tips to grip the handguard. I haven't burnt my hand in probably more than 20 years, and I don't even think about it now.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I used a self stick gasket for bbq grills it's called fire black nomex gasket comes in different widths and lengths and rated for 800 degrees plus it's black so it matches your barrel :) . Bbqgaskets.com

Assuming you are loading strong hand deuces/quads, its faster to maintain your weak hand firing grip on the handguard instead of rotating the gun in your hand. I've heard some people don't bend that way, but it works for me. I burned the $#!? out of my hand when I first started.

I have tried to not move my hand onto the area and maintain my grip as I do when shooting, but that is hard on my wrist. I am going to give the Nomex a try as I am shooting the Ironman next week and that involves a little bit of shotgun shooting.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can anyone post a pic or video or link showing what bridging is? I am all for learning, although I'd still get it insulated.