Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miss fire S&W 686-4

Frants Pedersen

Increase main spring pressure by tightening the strain screw.

Also, lock tite it with blue or purple loc-tite so it doesn't back out during use.

Additionally, you may consider an aftermarket firing pin like the apex tactical, or a factory pin that measures .495 in length

Edited by alecmc

Hi Frants,

strike looks slightly out of center? Maybe, on 1 of 100 multiple issues come together like not properly seated primer plus a slightly outcenterd strike - voila, misfire... Could it be, that one chamber has a little bit worn cylinder stop notch? Or the star is worn a bit... Just food for thoughts...

Btw - I'm still waiting for your promised email after the Steelchallenge ;-)

Best regards,

Sascha

Check endshake and also cylinder gap back to recoil shield (breech face) which I think is supposed to be nominal .062" (min about .060 and max about .064"). Endshake should be not more than .001". I would inspect the hammer for frame drag as well. If this is a MIM gun with external firing pin, clean and inspect it and make sure it moves freely. Use calipers to verify it is .495" length, not a defective shorty.

NOTE: the most common culprit I see for "marginal" strike energy is when the strain screw gets worn at the tip. It only takes a little to do it.

Edited by bountyhunter