Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone loading for their Glock 42?

G19

I don't have a 43 but this load works well in everything I've put it in.

100 gr plated bullet from xtreme bullets. 2.8 gr of Red Dot. CCI 500. OAL 0.98.

Only grip about it is the charge is so small I have to tap my lee auto disk every round to get a consistent drop which kinda sucks but I don't load large quantities of 380.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 3.0 HP-38 behind Berry Plated 100 RN. Also use 2.9 B'eye behind Montana Gold 115 HP. Both loads from Lyman Manual (if memory serves). Both extremely accurate and both run the G42 reliably for me. Berry load does not run for every one in my family. 115 MG HP does.

• 3 months later...

Just started loading for the wife's G42.

I use Titegroup for all my other pistol loads so thought why not the little 380.

Recipe:

Barry's 100gr RNFB

PMC once fired & New TNQ brass

CCI 500 primer

2.7 gr of TG

COL: .975

Hodgdon book data calls for a starting load of 2.6, max of 3.0

Loaded up 250 rds and the wife and I head to the range.

She fires the 1st round and it goes "pop"! ( 5 yards. I swear I heard the little 100gr bullet hit the target)

I'm thinking that sounded light, and take the pistol from her.

Fired case not ejected.

Crap.

Drop mag, eject case, inspect barrel. Barrel is clear.

Barrel looked awful black and suety. Unlike the light gray residue I'm used to with TG.

Tried 4 more rounds with the same results.

Won't even cycle the slide!

She ended up shooting her last box of factory PMC without a hitch.

After we got home, I pulled 10 of the reloaded rounds and weighed the powder.

Exactly 2.7 grains.

Should I bump up the powder a bit, or switch to something like W231 , or Unique?

I've loaded zillions of rounds of 9,40 and 45 on my 550b using TG with zero problems.

Edit:

Bumped up to 3.0gr to Titegroup. Same issue. Won't cycle, unburned powder.

Found some AutoComp in my stash.

Book max for a 100gr rnfp is 4.2 gr.

Loaded up 5 rds with 3.9gr .

Functioned perfectly!

Gonna try W231 next.

Edited by Force

Soft shooting and accurate. I've already ran maybe a thousand rounds using the data below without issue, and without any reliability issues in several G42's that I have access to.

Hmm,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong then.

Even when I bumped up to 3gr of Titegroup.

Same problem,wouldn't cycle the slide and unburned powder in the barrel.

This is a stock G42.

Maybe I'm crimping them to tight?

Good starting point, just remove the bell.... Pull a bullet if you have a chance, shouldn't see any "crimp ring", even the plated Berry's I use won't have ring around the bullet if pulled. As mentioned this ammo has run several G42's without issue. That's why I posted my data, something doesn't sound right with your results. Oddly I'd expect higher pressures with too much crimp, your issue is a little baffling to be honest.

Any issues with factory loads (other than their cost)? Any chrono data from your loads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by safeactionjackson

I tried to load .380 with SR7625, but that doesn't burn fast enough and thus requires too much powder to cycle. Switched to Titegroup and was able to use less powder.

Bullet: 100gr 0.355" (Berry's I think)

OAL: 0.965"

Powder: Titegroup, 2.9gr cycles barely, went to 3.0gr for more reliable cycling

Primer: WSP

@Force, not sure what you're crimping to, but SAAMI specs for .380acp is 0.373" at case mouth. Taper crimp should be very slight - 0.001 - 0.002", so for .380, should be 0.371-0.372" at case mouth.

Edited by G19

I've reloaded maybe 1000 rounds of .380, still have about 400 rounds left to be used at my leisure.

I generally will run 1K-2K thru any gun I plan to carry before I feel comfortable with it (so reloading allowed me to do this at a reasonable cost).

I had a bunch of .380 set aside, most of which I came across while loading or sorting 9mm.

I've probably got a few thousand pieces of .380 brass kicking around. Plus I had a spare set of 9mm dies/powder funnel/tools head/powder dispenser... plus a .223 conversion for my press... all I purchased was a .380 sizing die and case gauge. I've since migrated .380 reloading to my 650... and all I needed was a plastic case feeder part :)

Don't plan to shoot a ton, but it's nice to be able to roll my own for $6 for 50 rounds, compared to $20+ for factory.

~g

This is the one round I do not reload for, how many rounds are you guys going through?

If I had a LCP or Bodyguard or similar, I wouldn't bother reloading .380 because I would only shoot enough to keep familiar with the gun and how it shoots. But a G42 is fun to shoot.

I've since migrated .380 reloading to my 650... and all I needed was a plastic case feeder part :)

Same here - just needed that ridiculously overpriced casefeed adapter for .380, in addition to the dies.

• 2 weeks later...

Good starting point, just remove the bell.... Pull a bullet if you have a chance, shouldn't see any "crimp ring", even the plated Berry's I use won't have ring around the bullet if pulled. As mentioned this ammo has run several G42's without issue. That's why I posted my data, something doesn't sound right with your results. Oddly I'd expect higher pressures with too much crimp, your issue is a little baffling to be honest.

Any issues with factory loads (other than their cost)? Any chrono data from your loads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have shot about 200 rds of factory PMC bronze through the gun with zero issues.

I'm just barely belling the case mouth.

I started loading with 3.9 gr of AutoComp, functioned fine, and 3.5 gr of HP-38. Functioned fine also.

I'll revisit the Titegroup load soon,and try to chrono some.

This is my wife's little gun, otherwise I wouldn't load for it.

I'm content with my G19 and G43 for EDC.

I don't have a 43 but this load works well in everything I've put it in.

100 gr plated bullet from xtreme bullets. 2.8 gr of Red Dot. CCI 500. OAL 0.98.

Only grip about it is the charge is so small I have to tap my lee auto disk every round to get a consistent drop which kinda sucks but I don't load large quantities of 380.

I do a similar load...using Xtreme 100gr, 2.9gr Promo, CCI or Fiocchi primers. I ended up buying an x-small powder bar which seems to have helped meter small charges of Promo on the RL550B.

• 2 months later...

This is the one round I do not reload for, how many rounds are you guys going through?

That was my thought... I reload for everything.... but .380

I've reloaded maybe 1000 rounds of .380, still have about 400 rounds left to be used at my leisure.

I generally will run 1K-2K thru any gun I plan to carry before I feel comfortable with it (so reloading allowed me to do this at a reasonable cost).

I had a bunch of .380 set aside, most of which I came across while loading or sorting 9mm.

I've probably got a few thousand pieces of .380 brass kicking around. Plus I had a spare set of 9mm dies/powder funnel/tools head/powder dispenser... plus a .223 conversion for my press... all I purchased was a .380 sizing die and case gauge. I've since migrated .380 reloading to my 650... and all I needed was a plastic case feeder part :)

Don't plan to shoot a ton, but it's nice to be able to roll my own for $6 for 50 rounds, compared to $20+ for factory.

~g

$20 is pretty stiff, I get .380 at WalMart for $14 "ish" per 50 all the time. ;) I carry a .380 everyday but I can't imagine putting more than a box though any of them for "function" Check. ;) My 42 included...

Not around my neck of the woods, Walmart has become nothing more than a place for "resellers" to purchase, and then resell to locals (especially the popular and hard to find calibers). Pricing continues to come down, but it's still over $20 at LGS (small guys without the buying power of Wally World). Even if Walmart has it, I wouldn't waste my time purchasing ammo I can simply reload.

I shoot my carry guns regularly, and I encourage others to do the same, 50-100 to function check is a receipt for disaster IMHO!

~g

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by safeactionjackson