Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeklander Dry Fire Training

Balakay

After practicing without any direction, I finally decided to get serious about training and started doing Mike Seeklander's competition handgun training. My question is about the stepping draw and pivoting draw drills. Am I really supposed to draw 30+ repetitions towards each number of the imaginary clock ? That is over 720 draws for 2 drills!!! Between the reps and resetting the par times, it took me over an hour to get through these. Comments/suggestions?? I am dedicated but this seems a bit long.

Edited by Balakay

I tend to follow Mike's recommendations exactly.

That said, you can tailor your dry fire training to suit your local club(s) typical stage. I would always do the 12, 3, 6 and 9 for sure. I would then bring in the other parts as I need.

HIs book is the bomb!!!!!

The standard for effective dryfire is 5:1 meaning for every round you fire in livefire training you should be doing 5 in dryfire. I train at 600 live fire rds/week which is at least 3,000 dryfire reps/week.

I used Mike's program when I first started action shooting 3 years ago and also trained with him once a year. Being able to draw & reload as you step is a fundamental skill which needs to be ingrained in the subconscious. That's why there are so many reps for these drills in his Phase I training.

You shouldn't need to be changing the par times that often unless you've set them way too easy. If you are keeping track of them I like to do the 1st set of 10 reps on a drill at .1 sec above my current match speed, the 2nd 10 at match speed and then the 3rd set at .1 faster then match speed. When I can do the last 10 easily I then make that my new match speed and adjust everything accordingly.