Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comfortable being uncomfortable

j1b

Earlier this week I posted on trying to find a match. Nothing really came up as close as I'd like but there is one and I've resolved myself to shooting it.

I have to say I'm about as uncomfortable with this idea as I've been in a while which is precisely why I decided to do it.

The backstory here is that I've shot a lot of matches, a lot of big matches, a lot of bb's down range. I just haven't done any of that lately. Last match was probably 6 years ago. I've probably shot ... 50, maybe 100 rounds during that time frame. So it's all very weird. VERY familiar and VERY unfamiliar all at the same time.

I know the first stage will just be a "get through it" kind of stage. Be smooth, consistent, aim, and get familiar with knowing that I do know what the hell I'm doing.

Can't wait for the nerves and the story to kind of come full circle. There will be good tomorrow, bad tomorrow, and ugly tomorrow.

It's a very uncomfortable feeling, and that's why it is 100% the right thing to do.

J

When I get uncomfortable, I adjust my goals - instead of trying

to hit everything real fast, I try to be safe - slow down, watch

everything, look for possible mistakes, and Be Safe.

My one trip to the Nat'ls few years ago, an M shooter DQ'd (I

ducked when he broke the 180) - scared me out of quite a

few points - I slowed down so I wouldn't get sent home after

travelling thousands of miles to Las Vegas.

But, felt like I won, since I didn't get DQ'd.

Different objective ... :cheers:

Doesn't matter if you are new to the sport or if you were there in the beginning. Safety should always be #1, your scores will be better next time. Slow down and be aware of what you are doing. The rest will come later, is like riding a bike.

the bigger a deal you make this prior to shooting the match the more it will affect you on match day .... you know how to do this, you've done it plenty of times before so just keep all that clutter out of your head and just go shoot ... the game has not changed that much since you've been away ....

Well, just got back. It was much colder and rainy than I'd expected.

From a safety perpspective things were all good! I haven't forgotten that much!!!

From a shooting perspective it was pretty ugly. I do understand the thought on changing expectations but the harsh reality is that we are all competitive and all want to perform.

I wasn't as smooth as I wanted to be. Reloads in general were terrible. I'm fatter now so draws weren't as crisp.

I guess my biggest issue though is I didn't "see" like I wanted to. Like I know how to. Hits were all fine and don't get me wrong - my vision was present. Just couldn't run the gun like I wanted to. As we all know if you see fast you can shoot fast. So I shot slow....

All good though. If the trick of the day was to be uncomfortable and just get out and shoot then we're all good. I didn't see the other single stack shooters so we'll see how the scores bear out. (I know, I know - it shouldn't matter. But it always does)

Thanks for all the support!

J

Archived