Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 97 .45 make a good competition pistol?

1eyedfatman

You can shoot in USPSA Production and L10. For IDPA you can shoot in SSP and CDP. Since it is SSP legal it bypass the full lenght dust cover rule in CDP. You will need a barney mag like the single stack guys to get to 10+1 ready condition. If you get the 97B you can start condition 1 with safety engaged for L10, and CDP. If you get the 97BD decocker you will need to start decocked or half cocked in all divisions. The 97B will be easier to do the upgrades yourself.

The Cajun Gunworks "E" coversion should also be legal in all divsion since it is a internal modification that leaves the external apperance in battery the same as with the orginal bushing.

You will have a nice shooter and shooting minor 45 is going to be like a .22.

Thanks for the feedback. I Have a Glock 34 and CZ 75 Shadow that I would shoot USPSA Production and IDPA SSP/ESP with...no need to bring in the big gun for thos divisions. I'm kinda all over the place in my .45/major option. Bouncing back and forth between G41/G21, 1911, CZ 97 or not even going there at all. I would like a pistol I could play in CDP, L10 and Limited..but not sure what that should be yet. I know the .45 would be under capacity to a .40 in Limited, but on certain models like a G41, it might be exceptable.

I believe the 97b comes with a bushing stock.

Edit: actually nvm

Not sure why the never mind? I believe it does come with a bushing. You can get different bushings (I.e. "1911") fit to the 97 to make it more accurate. It is an external part but it is something I would consider a "small part," so I would think maybe you can change it?

Maybe I'm way off base too?

ETA: Here ya go http://cajungunworks.com/cz-97b_-_bd.html

Still not positive if it is production legal

I haven't been able to discern anything from the 97B's description to find out if it comes with one, but I'll get mine this weekend. As I read it, the CGW bushing is definitely an aftermarket part and falls out of favour with 21.6 and requires milling which breaches 21.2b.

The Accu-Shadow comes with the bushing already installed as part of the stock model, so it's allowed.

I haven't been able to discern anything from the 97B's description to find out if it comes with one, but I'll get mine this weekend. As I read it, the CGW bushing is definitely an aftermarket part and falls out of favour with 21.6 and requires milling which breaches 21.2b.

The Accu-Shadow comes with the bushing already installed as part of the stock model, so it's allowed.

The 97b and regular shadows (straight from the factory, not czc) come with a bushing.

I know this because cgw's 97b upgrade mentions the factory bushing and its shortcomings.

The shadows because I researched replacing the front sight and the front sight pin holds the stock bushing.

The accu bushing in an accu shadow is a completely different piece than the factory bushing. They(czc) have to mill the factory slide to use it.

So If someone were to come out with an oversize bushing that has the same outward visible appearance as the stock bushing and then hand fit the barrel and bushing, who could say its not "OFM?"

What about putting an accu bushing on a non-shadow?

I went through this same process and ended up being happiest with a Glock 21sf. The 41 just doesn't have the same level of aftermarket support the 21 model's do IMO.

Rowdy,

DId you use the G21sf in competition (IDPA CDP, USPS Limited/Limited10) or was it mainly a home use .45? If you used it in competition, did you feel disadvantaged to the longer G41?

Everyone has listed what divisions the CZ-97 can play in in USPSA and IDPA...don't forget Heavy Metal/He-Man in 3-gun.

I need to get an AR-10 first, then get a holster and extra mags for my -97B.

The 97b and regular shadows (straight from the factory, not czc) come with a bushing.

I know this because cgw's 97b upgrade mentions the factory bushing and its shortcomings.

The shadows because I researched replacing the front sight and the front sight pin holds the stock bushing.

The accu bushing in an accu shadow is a completely different piece than the factory bushing. They(czc) have to mill the factory slide to use it.

Shadows do not come with a bushing. No 75s or sp-01s leave Czech republic with a bushing. They are installed by CZ Custom in the USA. That is why they are not SSP legal. The CZ-97 comes with a bushing but I would think the modifications needed to fit the 1911 bushing that CGW does would make it illegal in IDPA (all divisions, due to long dustcover)

Anyone ever get a CGW 97 and chop the dustcover and add a magwell and run it in CDP?

Shadows do not come with a bushing. No 75s or sp-01s leave Czech republic with a bushing. They are installed by CZ Custom in the USA. That is why they are not SSP legal. The CZ-97 comes with a bushing but I would think the modifications needed to fit the 1911 bushing that CGW does would make it illegal in IDPA (all divisions, due to long dustcover)

Anyone ever get a CGW 97 and chop the dustcover and add a magwell and run it in CDP?

They do have a bushing that comes from cz themselves. Its just not anything like the accu bushing or the bushing on the 1911. Just wait for an expert like kneelingatlas to come to the thread..

ETA: Also, why does my 85B come with a bushing then?

its a press fit bushing. CZ never intended it to be a part as you will never find it on a schematic.

it was really only when people started changing front sights and not using the front sight pin ( which also holds the bushing ), did they really discover the bushing.

Woah let's back up here.

I don't think the 97 would be legal for IDPA. It is bigger and heavier than an SP01, which runs close to the max weight limit of 43 ounces. If you can get it under 43 ounces with a mag inserted, then you might be able to sneak it on in. My Tanfoglio Match Elite, without a full length dustcover and plastic grips, barely eeks in just a tad under 43 ounces with a mag.

Chopping the dustcover might be considered an external modification. Since they don't like you to change the sight dovetails, they would probably frown on this as well.

As long as you keep it DA/SA with CZ factory parts, it should be fine for Production and Limited.

As far as the Glock 41 goes, it takes the same trigger bar and sights as the 21, KKM makes a barrel for it, and there is an adapter for the Gen 3 guide Rod. It does need more options for a magwell though. The trigger guard is a little bigger than the 34/35 so some holsters may work fine and other might need some modification.

Didn't the -97 run afoul of IDPA rules at some point in the past because they viewed the full length dust cover as a modification, because they called the -97B simply a up-calibered version of the CZ-75, which doesn't have a full length dust cover?

Full length dustcovers have been a problem in IDPA for the 97 for a long time. However, if a pistol satisfies all of the conditions for a Stock Service Pistol it can be used for ESP or CDP.

The previous weight limit was something ridiculous like 39 ounces. Serious weight reduction was needed to get an SP01 to weigh that little without doing any machining.

I can guarantee you the CZ97 was unable to meet the weight requirements back then. I wonder how much one weighs with an empty magazine.

Archived