Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf SPP? Any reason to avoid

shooterDrew

I did a little searching and really did not come up w/ a lot of specific info about experiences with Wolf small pistol primers. I'm looking to buy some primers and as I'm sure others have noticed these are cheeeeeeap (by today's standards). I'm planning to burn up some ammo this season with a drastically increased practice schedule so price is a bit of a factor. Is there any reason to stay away from Wolf primers? I see people saying that they're very hard, if not the hardest of the major manufactured primers.

I will be mainly shooting them through my M&P and would not mind if I needed to upgrade to a extra power striker spring if thats the only issue. Beyond that does anyone have any experience with a high number of these primers (specifically through an M&P would also be helpful), have they been satisfactory? At one point I did shoot a couple thousand Wolf 9mm steel case rounds and had the occasional dead primer.. if thats what I should expect from their primers I guess I would probably be ok using them for practice, but certainly not for major match ammo.

So far I've loaded about 10,000 S&B primers and had few issues. They were equally as cheap as the Wolf and I'm happy with my experience (considering they were significantly cheaper than most other options). Currently wideners has the Wolf in stock for $20/1000, which is usually what they have S&B for as well, but S&B has been out of stock for a while.

Thanks for any information and help!

I have never loaded Wolf SPP only Wolf LPP and thousands of them. I did primarily shoot them in my 1911 and a few hundred in a M&P 45. Never had an issue. The M&P has the original striker spring.

i HAVE USED BOTH SPP AND LPP FROM WOLF. i AGREE THEY ARE HARDER AND THIS SHOWS UP IN LOADING 45 ACP and 45 Colt(especially). I ALSO FOUND FEDERAL TO BE THE SOFTEST LPP AND I STAY AWAY FROM ALL OTHER BRANDS FOR THAT USE AS POSSIBLE.

Encountered several FTF primer boo boos over 2-3 K of mixed LPP and SPP's usually attributed to crimped primer and that was a press issue with my hand on the operating handle.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

One of the boxes of 1k Wolf small primers had half the 100 trays labeled as small pistol and the rest labeled small rifle. Couldn't see any difference and for my application it made no difference, but did make me question their quality control.