Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

odd primer problem

Browndawg

My cousin found this brass at the range. I have been reloading for over 35 yrs. and have never seen anything like this. Indent on the primer appears to have been made by a Glock. What are your thoughts on the cause of this.

Mike

DSC02538%202.jpg

Reloading for 45 years and no clue. Clays at major with 180 grain coated bullets at O.A.L. of 1.23" caused some flattening of the softist primers available, but nothing like that. That's ugly.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Measure the case head OD and compare to standard. Could be excess pressure. Could be old brass. Could be too much primer pocket "uniforming."

What ever, I don't want it.

I've had something like that with range brass that lay around for awhile and got wet. Seems that it will make the side walls of the primer stick to the cartridge case and just the center of the primer will punch out when being deprimed.

The cases that this happens on all come from the same range. They shoot 9mm and .223. I havent had any issues depriming the rifle cases. The 9mm have been Federal and CBC head stamps. Sometimes the top pops off completely and other times it opens up like a tin can. The cases are emtremly dirty when I get them. No telling how long they have been exposed to the elements.

• 1 month later...

I see this is a older post but I believe I know what it is from. I borrowed a friend's Dillon tool for removing military primer crimps,this is exactly what happened when you did not get the case lined up correctly. It would enlarge the primer pocket instead of resizing.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started reloading in the late 1960's I didn't have a source for fired brass, this was obviously pre internet, so I ordered fired brass out of the classifieds in the back of the American Rifleman. When I got the brass and started sizing and decapping I ran into a bunch where the bottom would punch out leaving the sides of the old primer in place, there was a greenish corrosion evident in the primer pocket suggesting they had been cleaned chemically and chemical residue caused the corrosion, I have also talked to people who have found brass that might have been rained on, and the moisture combined with some residues might have caused the corrosion that caused the primer bottom to punch out. I tried a lot of different things and never did find a way to salvage that brass, I had to toss about 10% of that original order due to that problem. I have rarely seen this problem since then, I'll see one every couple of years or so.